Norwich dad takes on adventure challenge in aid of the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital
A Norwich father is set to undertake an adventure race with a difference to raise funds for the city's biggest hospital.
Triathlon coach Simon Brierley, 33, is set to run a total of 12 miles and cycle just over 21 miles between Cromer Hospital and the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital.
The challenge is part of Active Outdoor Sport's Norfolk Hospital Relay Adventure Race which will be held on Good Friday.
While other participants will complete the distances, which will be split up as three runs and two cycles, in teams of up to five people, Mr Brierley will competing solo.
He wants to raise funds for the N&N as a 'thank-you' for all the support given to his four-year-old son Joel who has a rare condition called Beckwith Wiedemann Syndrome.
You may also want to watch:
Former firefighter Mr Brierley, who lives in Old Catton with his wife Nicola, who is due to give birth to their second child on April 9, said: 'It's not really a gruelling or big challenge, but I want to give a bit back for the support they have given us as a family.'
The individual distances, completed one after another, will be a 10.5km run, 20km cycle, 5km run, 14.5km cycle and a 3.5km run.
- 1 Cyclist punched in the face during unprovoked attack turned away by GP
- 2 Norwich mum and daughter duo shed 12st
- 3 Murder investigation launched after body of man found in Norwich flat
- 4 Calls for lines to be repainted at 'free-for-all' city roundabout
- 5 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
- 6 Armed police called to reports of man with knife
- 7 Teenage stabbing was 'rival gang revenge’ for YouTube videos
- 8 How Norwich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 Five people spiked at three Norwich venues over the weekend
- 10 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
Streetlife in West End Street, near Dereham Road, Norwich, has donated a cyclocross bike for the event to Mr Brierley. He has so far raised �70.
To donate, go to www.justgiving.com/Simon-Brierley
There are still places left for the Active Outdoor Sport's adventure race which can be completed solo or by teams of two, three, four or five. For more information or to enter, go to www.activeoutdoor sport.co.uk
Are you undertaking a quirky challenge to raise funds for a good cause? Call reporter Kate Scotter on 01603 772326.