Canaries ladies’ produce show of four-ce as they advance in FA Cup
- Credit: Archant
Norwich City Ladies advanced to the first round proper of the women's FA Cup after an emphatic 4-0 win over Enfield.
City's victory earned them another home tie - against Billericay Town – and rounded off a good few days for the Canaries, who had beaten visiting Cambridge United 3-0 in a midweek South East Division One clash.
Enfield settled quickly, but it didn't last long as Norwich took a stranglehold on the game. With pressure building, Norwich were rewarded on 16 minutes when Chelsea Garrett scored the opening goal.
With Norwich increasing the pressure, Laura Thacker made it 2-0 on 24 minutes as she rose above the Enfield defence, her glancing header beat keeper Libby Stratton.
Norwich were dominating play and raised their game further, scoring twice in quick succession around the 30-minute mark, both goals courtesy of Garrett. Her second of the game was a superb cross-goal strike and the third, a stunning volley past the stranded Stratton Enfield make an immediate substitution at the restart in an attempt to change their fortunes, but with little effect.
With the second half underway and four goals to the good, Norwich soaked up early pressure and as the game progressed a sense of urgency crept into Enfield's game with Norwich content to defend as the visitors became increasingly frustrated.
Three Norwich substitutions provided fresh legs to help execute the game management plan – and they did so with great success.
- 1 Greater Anglia application to demolish train station building thrown out
- 2 Busy city Riverside roads to stay closed as transport hub works begin
- 3 Doctors baffled by teenager's horrific long Covid symptoms
- 4 'How I made four million flipping council houses into luxury student digs'
- 5 See inside this three-storey home with city views on sale for £370k
- 6 Boss ordered to build road 15 years ago battles to clear name
- 7 Revealed: Travelodge behind multi-million pound hotel development
- 8 'A palace reborn': Inside the £13.5m revamp of Norwich Castle
- 9 Store still cordoned off with police tape two months after break-in
- 10 'I lived in the woods for 20 years': How Sean is starting new life
The single Enfield substitution in the half made little impact.
As the game moved into the final quarter, Norwich again moved up a gear and were unlucky not to score a couple more goals as they camped in the Enfield half – but for once in the game they couldn't quite find their clinical finishing.
Norwich: Armstrong, Parker, Thacker, Diston, Parsons, Daviss, Smith (George 82), Durrant, Garrett (Snelling 63), Cook (Drake 53), Love. Subs not used: Robson, Rogers.
Enfield: Stratton, Slater, Diaz (Bailey 56), Southby, Ford, Reardon, Agus (Heath 71), McKevitt, Peters, Kelly (Kline 33), Diaz, Subs not used: Mills.
Ref: Paul Gibson. Att: 95