Norwich cider pub named best in East Anglia
A Norwich pub has been presented with its award for being named Camra's East Anglia Cider Pub of The Year 2012 – and is now in the last round of judging for the national award.
The White Lion in Oak Street, which has been run for 10 months by Ben Ackers and Becky Lakeman-Turner, was previously presented with the first Cider Pub of the Year award by the Norwich and Norfolk branch of Camra.
They regularly have more than 15 real ciders and perries available from Norfolk, East Anglia and beyond.
Mr Ackers said: 'We are delighted to win this award. Becky has always been a cider drinker, volunteering for the cider bar at the Cambridge Beer Festival for a fifth consecutive year. I have grown to appreciate how popular real cider is from my previous experience at two other pubs.
'We would like to thank our staff who have committed themselves fully to promoting real cider.'
You may also want to watch:
Ian Stamp, pubs officer with the Norwich Camra branch, said that more 20 city pubs now sold real cider, which showed a significant increase on previous years. Real ciders and perries have become more popular in pubs partly due to the surge in popularity of mass-produced bottled drinks such as Magners, Kopparberg, etc. which call themselves ciders but contain other ingredients. The qualification for a 'cider' is that it contains at least 30pc apple juice.
The Evening News has been urging people to return to pubs in our Love your Local campaign. To see more stories from the campaign visit www.eveningnews 24.co.uk/loveyourlocal
- 1 Tudor Stores reopens as manager resigns over safety fears
- 2 Caravan catches fire in Norwich
- 3 Armed police called to reports of man with knife
- 4 'It's very bad'-Trade decline frustration at stores as roadworks take place
- 5 Norwich mum and daughter duo shed 12st
- 6 How Norwich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 7 Key route into city closes for a week for safety improvement work
- 8 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
- 9 Five people spiked at three Norwich venues over the weekend
- 10 Family pays tribute to man killed after collision with double-decker bus