Norwich church to bring the sounds of Russia to the city
A Norwich church is bringing the sounds of Russia to the city to help raise funds for a new kitchen and organ.
St Mary Magdalene Church, in Silver Road, is hosting Lyra, pictured, a special ensemble of four Russian singers from St Petersburg, for a concert on September 6.
Linda Jones, part of the church's social committee and the Parochial Church Council, said the church community was excited to be hosting the event, and the group would perform Russian Orthodox music from composers including Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninov, and also some Russian Folk music. 'I think it is going to be a special concert,' she said. 'It is a chance for people in Norwich to experience something that does not come here very often.'
She said the concert was the latest of a number of fundraisers to raise money for the two church projects.
'We have a kitchen that is extensively used by the local community and it badly needs renovation, and we also need a new church organ which will cost about �3,000,' she said.
You may also want to watch:
The concert starts at 7.30pm on Thursday, September 6. Tickets cost �10 and can be bought at Prelude Records, St Giles Street, or by calling 01603 611269.
- 1 Two men in critical condition as multiple people stabbed
- 2 Police swoop on Norwich address
- 3 Eight men arrested after multiple stabbing in Norwich
- 4 Charity boss in battle with driver who keeps nicking loading space
- 5 Norwich cat torturer who murdered pensioner ‘planned to carry on killing’
- 6 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 7 Norwich man crowned Britain's Best Young Chef
- 8 Speed signs to FINALLY be installed at 'accident hotspot'
- 9 Tenants living in freezing, dark flats after power went out FIVE days ago
- 10 Owner of popular bakery rushed into intensive care 120 miles from home