Norwich church to bring the sounds of Russia to the city
A Norwich church is bringing the sounds of Russia to the city to help raise funds for a new kitchen and organ.
St Mary Magdalene Church, in Silver Road, is hosting Lyra, pictured, a special ensemble of four Russian singers from St Petersburg, for a concert on September 6.
Linda Jones, part of the church's social committee and the Parochial Church Council, said the church community was excited to be hosting the event, and the group would perform Russian Orthodox music from composers including Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninov, and also some Russian Folk music. 'I think it is going to be a special concert,' she said. 'It is a chance for people in Norwich to experience something that does not come here very often.'
She said the concert was the latest of a number of fundraisers to raise money for the two church projects.
'We have a kitchen that is extensively used by the local community and it badly needs renovation, and we also need a new church organ which will cost about �3,000,' she said.
You may also want to watch:
The concert starts at 7.30pm on Thursday, September 6. Tickets cost �10 and can be bought at Prelude Records, St Giles Street, or by calling 01603 611269.
- 1 'Second time this year' - Armed police called to Norwich street
- 2 'Someone will get hurt' - Frustration over pothole near Norwich surgery
- 3 Men ran over roofs to flee police after Norwich cannabis factory raid
- 4 Why Norwich must stop Debenhams becoming city centre black hole
- 5 Langleys toy shop building for rent for £45,000 a year
- 6 'Unacceptable': Council hits out at soiled clothing left in public toilets
- 7 CCTV shows man who used stolen bank card at three Norwich stores
- 8 'We offered £20k over and still lost out': Frantic housing market revealed
- 9 Hopes for a summer reopening of popular park café
- 10 Elton John to kick off UK leg of farewell tour at Carrow Road