Norwich car technician in final of national competition
A Norwich businessman could become the first to be named as the top motor technician in the UK for the second time after reaching the finals again.
Clive Atthowe is one of six modern vehicle technicians to have made it to the final round of national competition Top Technician 2011.
The 53-year-old from Thorpe St Andrew, who runs Clive Atthowe Tuning in Salhouse Road, won the competition back in 2007 and came runner up in 2006. No-one has ever won the competition more than once.
To get to the final this year, Mr Atthowe came top in the first stage online test covering theory and diagnostic repair scenarios. He then sailed through the regional heats which challenged his practical competence at finding faults on a variety of cars.
The married father-of-three now faces a day of assessments at the Honda Institute in Slough on March 4.
He said: 'I'm really chuffed to get to the final. It's something I've not taken part in for a while but I thought I would try again – it's good to test yourself against other technicians.
'It's good for my business and helps keep the business profile up there. It's quite a tough competition – it would be nice to win – but who knows.' photo: simon finlay
- 1 From £35k to homeless: Why rough sleepers struggle to get a job
- 2 'Not our fault' - City man hits back on abandoned caravan after land dispute
- 3 Boss ordered to build road 15 years ago battles to clear name
- 4 Burglars smash way into Patisserie Valerie and nab cash
- 5 'I lived in the woods for 20 years': How Sean is starting new life
- 6 Car hits lamppost after two-car crash in Norwich
- 7 'Not worth it!': Councillor wants new bus lane ditched
- 8 'A palace reborn': Inside the £13.5m revamp of Norwich Castle
- 9 Obituary: Doctor, and son of Norwich's recycling empire founder, dies aged 69
- 10 Has £10,000 prize crash landed in Norwich from space?