Norwich bus driver catches bus to his own wedding
A bus driver who is more used to transporting passengers from A to B climbed aboard a Routemaster double-decker to be taken to his wedding.
Brian Noakes got married to Danielle Edwards at St Catherine's Church, Aylsham Road, Norwich, on Saturday.
Their special day saw the First bus driver and their guests arrive at the wedding in a 1960s Routemaster bus.
Meanwhile, the 21-year-old bride turned up in a 1978 Rolls Royce.
Mr Noakes, 46, of Fenn Crescent, Mile Cross, who has been a bus driver for nine years, said: 'We thought it would be a bit novel, really.'
You may also want to watch:
The couple met in Bury St Edmunds when Miss Edwards, who works at Tesco, was a student at West Suffolk College and Mr Noakes was her bus driver.
They had been engaged for about a year before their wedding.
- 1 Noise concerns spark more than 40 objections to new city venue bid
- 2 Controversy reignited over 300 home scheme on edge of Norwich
- 3 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 4 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 5 Monster rats 'the size of cats' invade city - and get in via the LOO
- 6 'Turn up!' Groomer's plea to no-show pet owners
- 7 Golden Triangle pub goes up for sale for half a million
- 8 'More of a service than a business': Bid to turn pub into local shop
- 9 Chaos on ‘free-for-all' city street after double yellows disappear
- 10 A look at the faces behind Norwich Market
The wedding day saw Mr Noakes and their 50-plus guests get picked up by the Routemaster bus from the Holiday Inn in Ipswich Road and then taken to the church.
The guests were then transported to the Plantation Gardens in Earlham Road for the photos after the wedding.
Mr Noakes' new wife said: 'We thought it would be unique touch to the wedding rather than a traditional car. We had a lot of people travelling to Norwich from up north and elsewhere so we thought it would be an easy way to transport everybody from A to B as well as having a nice touch to it and doing it in style.'
The couple have already had their honeymoon as the wedding had to be put back a month due to family commitments. They went to Turkey at the end of April.
Do you know someone who is having an usual wedding? Call reporter Kate Scotter on 01603 772326 or email firstname.lastname@example.org