Norwich bus driver catches bus to his own wedding
A bus driver who is more used to transporting passengers from A to B climbed aboard a Routemaster double-decker to be taken to his wedding.
Brian Noakes got married to Danielle Edwards at St Catherine's Church, Aylsham Road, Norwich, on Saturday.
Their special day saw the First bus driver and their guests arrive at the wedding in a 1960s Routemaster bus.
Meanwhile, the 21-year-old bride turned up in a 1978 Rolls Royce.
Mr Noakes, 46, of Fenn Crescent, Mile Cross, who has been a bus driver for nine years, said: 'We thought it would be a bit novel, really.'
The couple met in Bury St Edmunds when Miss Edwards, who works at Tesco, was a student at West Suffolk College and Mr Noakes was her bus driver.
They had been engaged for about a year before their wedding.
- 1 Former Norwich restaurant to be transformed into £1.5m food hall
- 2 Man refusing to pay rent for council flat over 16-year mould problem
- 3 Mum has foot run over in incident with foul-mouthed driver
- 4 Parking charges at city parks has raised £0
- 5 Norwich's tiniest pub completes facelift
- 6 Extra security measures approved for flats plagued by drug use
- 7 Bottomless brunch with 90s act, fried chicken and cocktails heading to city
- 8 Concerns raised over fate of junior school site
- 9 City teen named Ikea drops furniture brand as first name
- 10 Five street food vendors doing residencies in Norwich pubs
The wedding day saw Mr Noakes and their 50-plus guests get picked up by the Routemaster bus from the Holiday Inn in Ipswich Road and then taken to the church.
The guests were then transported to the Plantation Gardens in Earlham Road for the photos after the wedding.
Mr Noakes' new wife said: 'We thought it would be unique touch to the wedding rather than a traditional car. We had a lot of people travelling to Norwich from up north and elsewhere so we thought it would be an easy way to transport everybody from A to B as well as having a nice touch to it and doing it in style.'
The couple have already had their honeymoon as the wedding had to be put back a month due to family commitments. They went to Turkey at the end of April.
Do you know someone who is having an usual wedding? Call reporter Kate Scotter on 01603 772326 or email email@example.com