Norwich boxer runs London marathon barefoot
Stephen PullingerRunning 26.2 miles should hold no fear for former Norwich boxer Jackson Williams who three years ago managed to run 3,100 miles across the USA in just 111 days.Stephen Pullinger
Running 26.2 miles should hold no fear for former Norwich boxer Jackson Williams who three years ago managed to run 3,100 miles across the USA in just 111 days.
But ever one for a challenge, the 28-year-old Norwich City College sports teacher will be dodging 40,000 other pairs of feet - and running the whole way in the London Marathon barefoot.
You may also want to watch:
Jackson, who prepared for his feat by last month running 100 miles from Norwich to London barefoot for Sport Relief, said: 'Running barefoot is not as comfortable as with shoes on so I'll be looking to finish in 3hr 30min to 4hr instead of a time of 2hr 40min I would normally expect to achieve.'
The race will incorporate an element of friendly rivalry as Jackson, whose main claim to fame in the professional ring was a losing bout to Olympic silver medallist Amir Khan, tries to beat fellow ex-boxer Jon Thaxton to the finish line.
- 1 'Disaster from start to finish': Parents slam school for failing kids
- 2 Power still out in parts of Norwich city centre six hours later
- 3 New £64,000 bus lane could cut 80 seconds off journeys
- 4 Resurfacing works to see closures on three busy city roads
- 5 Alan Carr enjoys 'delicious food' and leaves large tip at city restaurant
- 6 Family piano shop founded in 1887 is leaving the city
- 7 'Diabolical' - Fury over trees felled for road widening scheme
- 8 People in Norwich fined £21k for failing to pay for prescriptions
- 9 See how Norwich Castle's keep is being transformed
- 10 Roadworks to be aware of in Norwich this week
Jackson is midway through a year of fund-raising events which he hopes will raise �10,000 for the United Nations Children's Fund.
And he is already looking ahead to fresh challenges - rowing across the Atlantic next year and a re-scheduled run across Australia in 2012.