Norwich boozer named best sports pub in East Anglia
An award-winning Norwich pub has been give a welcome boost ahead of the new football season, after being named the best sports pub in East Anglia in the Great British Pub Awards 2011.
The Murderers in Timberhill has 14 TV screens showing sport including two 50inch screens in the backbar area, and will be showing the Premier League and Canaries' games again from next month.
Landlord Philip Cutter is an ambassador for the pub trade in Norwich and was instrumental in organising this year's successful City Of Ale event.
He said: 'This is the 'Oscars' of the pub industry, and we are both honoured, excited and privileged to be even considered for these illustrious awards.
'We are obviously very fortunate that we have a great tradition of showing all of the very best in live sports over the past 20 years, and we are really pleased that this award coincides with the new season about to start, and the Canaries being back in the Premier League.'
You may also want to watch:
In a letter to Mr Cutter from the awards organisers, it states: 'Following your site visit it gives me great pleasure to confirm that you have been selected as the Best Sports Pub 2011 in East Anglia.
'The awards are being hosted by Rory Bremner and your pub now stands the chance of being named the overall champion of your category in the Great British Pub Awards 2011.
- 1 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 2 People in Norwich fined £21k for failing to pay for prescriptions
- 3 Resurfacing works to see closures on three busy city roads
- 4 Enjoy afternoon tea on Britain's poshest train departing from Norwich
- 5 'Disaster from start to finish': Parents slam school for failing kids
- 6 'She shouted for 90 minutes': Councillor guilty of harassing railway staff
- 7 Child sex abuse victim: 'I'm still angry, but haven't let him ruin my life'
- 8 'No help to us' - Mixed views on £6.1m street revamp
- 9 Business fears for Christmas trade if council doesn't fix traffic 'chaos'
- 10 Roadworks to be aware of in Norwich this week
'From all the category champions an overall Great British Pub of Year 2011 will also be selected.'
The national awards will be held at the Park Lane Hilton in London on September 8.
The Evening News has been encouraging people to visit pubs in our Love your Local campaign.
To see more stories from the campaign visit www.eveningnews24.co.uk/loveyourlocal.
Has your local got something to celebrate? Call reporter David Bale on 01603 772427 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
cross ref; See this week's Pub of the Week feature on page 53.