Norwich boozer named best sports pub in East Anglia
An award-winning Norwich pub has been give a welcome boost ahead of the new football season, after being named the best sports pub in East Anglia in the Great British Pub Awards 2011.
The Murderers in Timberhill has 14 TV screens showing sport including two 50inch screens in the backbar area, and will be showing the Premier League and Canaries' games again from next month.
Landlord Philip Cutter is an ambassador for the pub trade in Norwich and was instrumental in organising this year's successful City Of Ale event.
He said: 'This is the 'Oscars' of the pub industry, and we are both honoured, excited and privileged to be even considered for these illustrious awards.
'We are obviously very fortunate that we have a great tradition of showing all of the very best in live sports over the past 20 years, and we are really pleased that this award coincides with the new season about to start, and the Canaries being back in the Premier League.'
You may also want to watch:
In a letter to Mr Cutter from the awards organisers, it states: 'Following your site visit it gives me great pleasure to confirm that you have been selected as the Best Sports Pub 2011 in East Anglia.
'The awards are being hosted by Rory Bremner and your pub now stands the chance of being named the overall champion of your category in the Great British Pub Awards 2011.
- 1 'Second time this year' - Armed police called to Norwich street
- 2 Langleys toy shop building for rent for £45,000 a year
- 3 Driver cut from vehicle after crash on Norwich ring road
- 4 Campaigners angry as park hedge cut down for tennis court scheme
- 5 Glass smashed and racist graffiti sprayed onto Norwich house
- 6 'Unacceptable': Council hits out at soiled clothing left in public toilets
- 7 Why your phone might warn you of a 'terror attack' today
- 8 CCTV shows man who used stolen bank card at three Norwich stores
- 9 Norwich woman's new cookie company has 'gone crazy'
- 10 Dinosaur-themed food trail running in Norwich restaurants this summer
'From all the category champions an overall Great British Pub of Year 2011 will also be selected.'
The national awards will be held at the Park Lane Hilton in London on September 8.
The Evening News has been encouraging people to visit pubs in our Love your Local campaign.
To see more stories from the campaign visit www.eveningnews24.co.uk/loveyourlocal.
Has your local got something to celebrate? Call reporter David Bale on 01603 772427 or email email@example.com
cross ref; See this week's Pub of the Week feature on page 53.