Popular Norwich bar to reopen after four month closure
- Credit: Archant
A popular bar at the heart of Norwich's clubland is reopening after legal action against its owners was dropped.
Flaunt, on Prince of Wales Road, will reopen next weekend just over a month after Code Red Promotions reached a settlement with Norwich City Council for an £200,000 unpaid rates bill.
Code Red Promotions, which also owns Mercy, Lace and Rocco's, had been forced to close its venues in February when liquidators stepped in following an application to the High Court by the council.
But with the legal action now over, Flaunt general manager Levi Solomon is looking forward to the bar welcoming customers again.
'Since we closed we have had so many messages about when we will be reopening,' he said. 'It is just a standard opening at the moment with all the fun of Flaunt.'
You may also want to watch:
The bar, which is located opposite Mercy on Prince of Wales Road, describes itself as the 'newest and most sassy LGBT + venue' in Norwich.
In recent years it has been become one of the main faces of the city's pride celebrations, transforming the bar into a fairy tale-themed Neverland for the 2017 event.
- 1 'Our lives are being destroyed': Neighbours' despair over noisy students
- 2 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 3 'The final straw' - Bakery fears closure over council plans
- 4 Norwich named UK's most romantic destination
- 5 City staff facing 'mass burnout' but what is behind the extreme exhaustion?
- 6 Man found dead at Thorpe St Andrew home
- 7 Petrol attack shopkeeper opens spice shop and restaurant in former pub
- 8 Fresh plans for rooftop bar on St Stephens
- 9 Women to boycott city nightclubs amid rise in drink spiking
- 10 Diversions in place on A47 near Norwich due to flooding
And it is these special events which Mr Solomon believes makes the venue unique in Norwich.
'We offer something completely different to all the other bars and clubs in Norwich, with all the different monthly events we hold,' he said. 'We also attract a lot of different people and we get a lot of messages from young ladies about how comfortable they feel in the bar which is great.'
Flaunt will reopen at 10pm on Friday, June 15 and will also be open on Saturday, June 16.
A spokesperson for Code Red Promotions did not want to comment on the possibility of Mercy, Lace and Rocco's reopening.
While the details of the settlement were not revealed by either party, City Hall said at the time it was 'very pleased' to have reached an agreement and assured the public it had been 'very robust' in negotiations.
The venues make up a significant part of Norwich nightlife, in an area which is particularly popular with students and visitors to the city.
Mercy is the largest club in Norwich, with a capacity in the region of 3,000 people, and was visited by Jeremy Kyle for a show focused on Norwich's nightlife.