Norwich band Mammal Hands to play headline show at Epic Studios
- Credit: Tom Barrett
Originally from Norwich, jazz trio Mammal Hands are returning to play a headline show at Epic Studios ahead of their third album release.
Mammal Hands, made up of saxophonist Jordan Smart, pianist Nick Smart and drummer and percussionist Jesse Barrett, have forged their own path away from the musical mainstream with their unique sound growing from long improvised rehearsals.
Their refreshingly original sound draws on an array of influences such as spiritual jazz, north Indian, folk and classical music to create something inimitably their own.
'Shadow Work', their third album due for release on November 3, is the first that they have self-produced. Recorded at 80 Hertz Studios, Gondwana Records home from home in Manchester, it is the result of 18 months of intensive touring and mammoth writing sessions.
The energy from their exhilarating live performances has fed into the writing process and yet there is a quiet reflective side to this album, giving it an expanded emotional range that draws the listener deep into Mammal Hand's sound world.
You may also want to watch:
Shadow Work builds on the sound of their previous recordings, 'Animalia' and the 'Floa', but is wider than ever, with the use of prepared piano strings, more prominent effects and field recordings all adding to the band's most ambitious and accomplished album to date.
2017 tour dates:
- 1 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 2 New BBQ takeaway set to open in Norwich
- 3 'Sneaky and selfish' changes to bus route slammed
- 4 Inconvenience store: Family business blighted by roadworks
- 5 'We do everything correctly': Norwich takeaway handed one star hygiene rating
- 6 To cross or not to cross? Pledge to trim back danger hedge at blind corner
- 7 Former teacher who abused young boys handed 25-year sentence
- 8 Norwich firm fined £1m over explosion which killed much-loved father
- 9 Bars, restaurants and shops - Five new openings in Norwich this September
- 10 Bus services to be cancelled and changed amid driver shortage
24 October – Belgrave Music Hall in Leeds
26 October – Nice N Sleazy in Glasgow
27 October – Band on the Wall in Manchester
10 November – Epic Studios in Norwich
17 November – Patterns in Brighton
20 November – Union Chapel in London