North Walsham civic award winners revealed
Ed FossThis year's North Walsham civic award winners are Margaret Bane, John Watts, Bob Bane and Lorraine Wright.Ed Foss
This year's North Walsham civic award winners are Margaret Bane, John Watts, Bob Bane and Lorraine Wright.
Mr and Mrs Bane were nominated for 30 years of work on behalf of the Children's Society. They are joint local secretaries of the charity and play a key role in helping to raise about �3,500 every year through events including coffee mornings and from collection boxes kept in people's homes.
Mr Watts has been closely involved with North Walsham's annual Christmas Day lunch since it was launched 15 years ago. He is among volunteers who spend the day preparing, cooking and serving a traditional meal in the Community Centre for up to 100 people who would otherwise be alone.
Mrs Wright helped her close friend Helen Plummer's cancer fundraising appeal and kept it going after Mrs Plummer's death in 2006. Since then she has organised numerous events, raising many more thousands of pounds in Mrs Plummer's memory and that of other friends who have died - Dave McNeir and Bluebell pub landlady Chrissie Miller - and for other causes.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Tenant's despair as council fixes his windows by screwing them shut
- 2 'Our lives are being destroyed': Neighbours' despair over noisy students
- 3 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 4 Man killed after collision with double-decker bus on A146 named
- 5 Nearly 4,000 people wait for council homes - but fewer than 200 available
- 6 'Eyesore' bus won't be removed despite neighbours' pleas
- 7 Changes in gambling habits see city bookies shutting up shop
- 8 Pet owner's fury as mystery neighbour tries to claim her cat as their own
- 9 Fish and chip shop offering battered birthday cake to celebrate 50 years
- 10 'Neighbours ran outside screaming' during street fight in Golden Triangle