North Walsham civic award winners revealed
Ed FossThis year's North Walsham civic award winners are Margaret Bane, John Watts, Bob Bane and Lorraine Wright.Ed Foss
This year's North Walsham civic award winners are Margaret Bane, John Watts, Bob Bane and Lorraine Wright.
Mr and Mrs Bane were nominated for 30 years of work on behalf of the Children's Society. They are joint local secretaries of the charity and play a key role in helping to raise about �3,500 every year through events including coffee mornings and from collection boxes kept in people's homes.
Mr Watts has been closely involved with North Walsham's annual Christmas Day lunch since it was launched 15 years ago. He is among volunteers who spend the day preparing, cooking and serving a traditional meal in the Community Centre for up to 100 people who would otherwise be alone.
Mrs Wright helped her close friend Helen Plummer's cancer fundraising appeal and kept it going after Mrs Plummer's death in 2006. Since then she has organised numerous events, raising many more thousands of pounds in Mrs Plummer's memory and that of other friends who have died - Dave McNeir and Bluebell pub landlady Chrissie Miller - and for other causes.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Buy a former 1950s police station for sale for £330,000
- 2 Greek chain looks set to take over former Giraffe restaurant
- 3 New pasta and cocktail bar to open in Norwich
- 4 Driver fined after leaving queue before entering Co-Op
- 5 Norwich restaurants and pubs reopening in April
- 6 When can I go to the beach? Lockdown travel questions answered
- 7 Mum sets up sideline selling jewellery made from breast milk
- 8 £153m Western Link road delayed a third time
- 9 Emma Thompson and Peaky Blinders actor to star in new film shot in Norwich
- 10 Cardiac arrest call sparks rescue operation near beauty spot