Norfolk youngsters raise cash for Haiti
Anthony CarrollThe victims of the Haiti earthquake have been given a �280 survival boost thanks to two charitable 10-year-old Norfolk girls who organised a series of fund-raising activities at their school.Anthony Carroll
The victims of the Haiti earthquake have been given a �280 survival boost thanks to two charitable 10-year-old Norfolk girls who organised a series of fund-raising activities at their school.
Alice Rees and Morgan Gerrity were so moved by the scenes of devastation on the Caribbean island they decided set up three events at Fairhaven Primary School at South Walsham, near Acle, to help the survivors.
They organised a cake sell, persuaded teachers to allow the school's 102 pupils to wear blue and red - the colours of the Haitian flag - and set up a poster competition based on a fantasy island and animals.
Thanks to the two girls' efforts �280 was raised by pupils on Friday for the Haiti disaster appeal.
You may also want to watch:
Alice said: 'I was watching the news and there were dead bodies everywhere. It was horrible.
'The people who survived are now dying too because there isn't enough food. I felt we needed to do something.'
- 1 Centre takes action after IT failure causes long queues for Covid jab
- 2 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 3 Can you rehome this Terrier who has spent nine years at animal sanctuary?
- 4 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
- 5 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 6 Map reveals the most serious crashes on the NDR since it fully opened
- 7 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 8 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 9 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 10 Four fire crews called to car blaze in Norwich garage
Her friend Morgan said: 'They need our help. We have so much more than they do at the moment.'
Headteacher Melodie Fearns said: 'It is heart warming to know that young people today do really care about others and the world around them.
'We are proud that our children here try to make a difference no matter how young they are.'
t Are your youngsters helping charity? Email firstname.lastname@example.org