Norfolk villagers may buy their pub
Amy GrayA popular Broads pub that is up for sale could be bought by its patrons, after a packed public meeting showed support for the project.Amy Gray
A popular Broads pub that is up for sale could be bought by its patrons, after a packed public meeting showed support for the project.
On Friday night, about 140 people attended the meeting at Upton village hall, near Acle, to hear about a plan for villagers to buy shares in the White Horse.
The pub, in Chapel Lane, was put on the market for �350,000 more than a year ago after its current landlord, Ray Norman, aka Winkle, announced his retirement due to ill health.
But there was little interest from buyers and people living in Upton feared they would lose their local pub, which is also a favourite with holidaymakers.
You may also want to watch:
So on Friday Richard Thornhill, Gordon McFadyen and Kevin Cotton headed a meeting to discuss the possibility of locals buying �500 shares in the pub and running it as a community effort.
Mr Thornhill said the response was positive and it was standing room only in the hall. 'Now we are waiting for the pledges to come in to make a decision on how we move forward if there is sufficient interest - there certainly seemed to be within the meeting.'
- 1 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 2 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 3 Former City skipper a frontrunner for Swansea job
- 4 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 5 Large estate to have its first food store this autumn
- 6 Norfolk hit by thunderstorms and heavy hail
- 7 Sky broadband issues across Norfolk and Suffolk resolved
- 8 Watch: Woman left bleeding and bruised after e-scooter crash
- 9 Plans to remove crossing in £440k works branded 'crazy' by councillors
- 10 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m
More pub news on page 14