Norfolk schools and day services praised
Sarah HallMore than a dozen Norfolk schools and a day services centre are to be recognised for the progress they have made in supporting their vulnerable pupils, including those with learning disabilities, to walk to school or use public transport.Sarah Hall
More than a dozen Norfolk schools and a day services centre are to be recognised for the progress they have made in supporting their vulnerable pupils, including those with learning disabilities, to walk to school or use public transport.
The high schools, special schools and day services centre have all been taking part in Norfolk County Council's Travel Independence Training Across the Nation (TITAN) programme and are now to be awarded an Excellence mark for their achievements.
TITAN was launched in 2006 and has given hundreds of young people the skills and confidence to access public transport and be safe pedestrians.
The scheme ensures they can safely cross the road, ask for support and develop the skills to board a bus to their home, school or town.
You may also want to watch:
Eleven high schools and eight special schools have now achieved the status, with the latest group to receiving the award today .
Alison Thomas, Norfolk County Council cabinet member for children's services, said: 'We want young people with learning difficulties and disabilities, and those who are vulnerable for other reasons, to be able to access education, employment and social opportunities, just like any other students. TITAN provides the necessary skills to help ensure these young people can do just that.'
- 1 New Lidl supermarket opens in Norwich
- 2 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 3 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 4 Financial clause revealed in Rashica move to Norwich City
- 5 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died
- 6 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 7 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 8 Post-Latitude covid has made me realise pandemic has a long way to go
- 9 Large estate to have its first food store this autumn
- 10 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
The schools receiving the awards include The Red Balloon Learner Centre in Earlham Road, Norwich, Great Yarmouth Day Services, Acle High School, Aylsham High School, Caister High School, Great Yarmouth High School, Chapel Road School in Attleborough, The Clare School in Norwich and the Hall School in Old Catton.