Norfolk playwright needs actors and stagehands for new production
- Credit: Simon Finlay
A Norfolk playwright is appealing for actors and stagehands to help bring his production about Robert Kett to life.
Dr Chris Joby has written a play Robert Kett and the Norfolk Rising which will be staged in Wymondam this summer.
Dr Joby has been writing plays for the past six years and last year he wrote and produced Edith, a play about Edith Cavell which was performed at City College Norwich in December.
'Playwriting brings me alive, I love it,' he said. 'I wish I had done it earlier. It had been incubating for four or five years. I had been looking for an art form to express myself and I thought I would give writing a go.
'Ideas inspire me - with Edith, what does it mean to sacrifice yourself? With Robert Kett, what do we do about the inadequacies in life?'
You may also want to watch:
Dr Joby said he was inspired to write the play after a walk through the quiet country lanes near his home in Keswick Hall.
'I occasionally go to Wymondham and I was walking around the Abbey when I had the idea about writing a play about Robert Kett. It seems that not many plays have been written about him for the past 50 or 60 years,' he added.
- 1 Two men in critical condition as multiple people stabbed
- 2 Police swoop on Norwich address
- 3 Eight men arrested after multiple stabbing in Norwich
- 4 Charity boss in battle with driver who keeps nicking loading space
- 5 Norwich cat torturer who murdered pensioner ‘planned to carry on killing’
- 6 Norwich man crowned Britain's Best Young Chef
- 7 Tenants living in freezing, dark flats after power went out FIVE days ago
- 8 Owner of popular bakery rushed into intensive care 120 miles from home
- 9 Speed signs to FINALLY be installed at 'accident hotspot'
- 10 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
The 46-year-old, who lectures in Dutch in Leeds and Manchester, cites his playwriting as one of the reasons he loves the county.
The play will be performed in Central Hall in Wymondham in August and Dr Joby is appealing for actors and stage crew to help with the production.
A reading of the play will take place at the Feathers pub in Wymondham on Wednesday, April 3 at 7.30pm.
Anyone who is interested in getting involved should contact Dr Joby on 07766 280219 or email email@example.com