Norfolk motorbike cavalcade abandoned
Hayley MaceA motorcycle road run which saw thousands of bikers descend on Norwich every summer has reached the end of the road as organisers have announced that there will not be an event this summer.Hayley Mace
A motorcycle road run which saw thousands of bikers descend on Norwich every summer has reached the end of the road as organisers have announced that there will not be an event this summer.
In previous years, thousands of bikers have taken part in the Eastern Lights Motorcycle Cavalcade, travelling en masse from the Thickthorn park and ride in Norwich to Lowestoft via Great Yarmouth, and they have raised more than �66,000 for the accident and emergency unit at the James Paget University Hospital in Gorleston.
Last summer's official event had to be called off because the organisers could not get a road closure licence from Norfolk Police, but a smaller informal gathering took place on Lowestoft's Royal Green.
However the organisers have now announced that there will be no event at all this year because of problems trying to arrange different meeting points across Norfolk and Suffolk.
You may also want to watch:
Jennifer Raho, one of the organisers, said the plan for this summer had been to have a number of assembly points around the area so that riders could then travel individually or in small groups to meet at a rally in Lowestoft in July. 'Unfortunately we were a committee of just half a dozen people and would have needed so many people in other places to make it work.
'We were also aware that the main attraction of the event was the fact that it was a cavalcade and gave people the opportunity to ride in a big group, but that spectacle would have been lost anyway.'
- 1 TikTok craze sparks calls to stop sale of beans to under-18s
- 2 Norfolk man jailed for historic child sex abuse offences
- 3 'No help to us' - Mixed views on £6.1m street revamp
- 4 Business fears for Christmas trade if council doesn't fix traffic 'chaos'
- 5 'She shouted for 90 minutes': Councillor guilty of harassing railway staff
- 6 Enjoy afternoon tea on Britain's poshest train departing from Norwich
- 7 Child sex abuse victim: 'I'm still angry, but haven't let him ruin my life'
- 8 The most popular baby names in Norfolk in 2020 are revealed
- 9 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 10 Should straight people go into queer clubs and bars?