Norfolk man in Snowdon airlift drama
Sarah BrealeyA 55-year-old Norfolk man was airlifted from Mount Snowdon on New Year's Eve after getting into difficulties while camping 2,000ft up the Welsh peak.The man, who has not been named and who was in training for an expedition to Norway, had been camping on the 3,560ft mountain since Monday, December 28.Sarah Brealey
A 55-year-old Norfolk man was airlifted from Mount Snowdon on New Year's Eve after getting into difficulties while camping 2,000ft up the Welsh peak.
The man, who has not been named and who was in training for an expedition to Norway, had been camping on the 3,560ft mountain since Monday, December 28.
Llanberis Mountain Rescue Team and a Sea King helicopter from RAF Valley in Anglesey were alerted. He was brought aboard the helicopter and flown off the mountain, cold but otherwise unhurt. Rescuers said he had been well equipped.
The airlift came a week after it was revealed call-outs for rescues from Snowdon had more than doubled in the last year. Rescue crews received 334 calls from walkers and climbers in 2009.
They have been particularly busy in recent days because of a spell of freezing weather. In a 24-hour spell from Boxing Day, seven people were winched to safety in four separate rescues.
t Do you know the Norfolk man who was airlifted from Snowdon? Call Steve Downes on 01603 222495 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 Former Norwich restaurant to be transformed into £1.5m food hall
- 2 See inside this 'stunning' £700k family home for sale in a Norwich suburb
- 3 Family living in city's 'worst' council house despair over new damp
- 4 'Torrid time' as insurance giant Marsh quits city centre
- 5 Mum-to-be outraged after yobs vandalise 13 cars in suburb
- 6 Norwich City star and fan groups back call for drums at Carrow Road
- 7 Huge food festival with Liberty X and S Club All Stars heading to Norwich
- 8 Man refusing to pay rent for council flat over 16-year mould problem
- 9 'Such a shame': Independent card shop announces closure with sale
- 10 Graduate outraged after being handed tax bill for unoccupied student digs