Norfolk man in Snowdon airlift drama
Sarah BrealeyA 55-year-old Norfolk man was airlifted from Mount Snowdon on New Year's Eve after getting into difficulties while camping 2,000ft up the Welsh peak.The man, who has not been named and who was in training for an expedition to Norway, had been camping on the 3,560ft mountain since Monday, December 28.Sarah Brealey
A 55-year-old Norfolk man was airlifted from Mount Snowdon on New Year's Eve after getting into difficulties while camping 2,000ft up the Welsh peak.
The man, who has not been named and who was in training for an expedition to Norway, had been camping on the 3,560ft mountain since Monday, December 28.
Llanberis Mountain Rescue Team and a Sea King helicopter from RAF Valley in Anglesey were alerted. He was brought aboard the helicopter and flown off the mountain, cold but otherwise unhurt. Rescuers said he had been well equipped.
The airlift came a week after it was revealed call-outs for rescues from Snowdon had more than doubled in the last year. Rescue crews received 334 calls from walkers and climbers in 2009.
You may also want to watch:
They have been particularly busy in recent days because of a spell of freezing weather. In a 24-hour spell from Boxing Day, seven people were winched to safety in four separate rescues.
t Do you know the Norfolk man who was airlifted from Snowdon? Call Steve Downes on 01603 222495 or email email@example.com.
- 1 Fire tears through historic Thorpe pub
- 2 Builder took pink pill and ran naked around hotel
- 3 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 4 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 5 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today
- 6 Coronavirus recovery centre never used in first wave to be opened
- 7 Jailed in Norfolk: Burglars, domestic abuse and threats to kill
- 8 Bakery pushes back Norwich reopening date after daily taking dropped to £26
- 9 Delays as 23m-long caravan travels through Norfolk
- 10 Vaccines roll-out to move on to over 70s