Norfolk man 'drank himself to death'
Matthew SparkesA coroner has warned of the dangers of supermarkets offering cheap alcohol after a Norfolk man 'drank himself to death'.Matthew Sparkes
A coroner has warned of the dangers of supermarkets offering cheap alcohol after a Norfolk man 'drank himself to death'.
Roger Prosser, from Leman Grove, in Loddon, died on September 27 last year with a blood alcohol measure more than six times higher than the drink-drive limit.
Speaking at the inquest into his death yesterday , coroner William Armstrong called the alcohol levels 'exceptionally high' and spoke of the dangers of offering extremely cheap beers, wines and spirits.
Mr Prosser, 64, had suffered with alcohol addiction since 1975 and regularly visited his friend Lee Woodard, also from Loddon, at 11am to begin drinking.
You may also want to watch:
The day he died Mr Prosser had been his 'usual self,' according to Mr Woodard.
But that afternoon Mr Prosser collapsed, and despite friend Laura Jayne Clitheroe attempting to resuscitate him, he died from acute alcohol intoxication.
- 1 Extent of Norwich Prison Covid outbreak revealed
- 2 'Sounded like my roof was coming off': RAF jet sonic boom heard over city
- 3 Hopes raised former pub could become community hub
- 4 Derelict pub on eyesore site could be turned into new Co-op store
- 5 'People are fed up with roasts': Chef ditches Sunday dinner takeaways
- 6 Covid team to knock on Norwich doors to get people to self-isolate
- 7 Two arrested over robbery incidents at post office and shop
- 8 Norwich sonic boom: RAF confirms jet 'inadvertently' caused bang over city
- 9 21 bins left on street sparks debate on keeping pavements clear
- 10 Sex offender used secret Twitter account to post indecent material
Miss Clitheroe, of Costessey, said that his regular morning trips to Mr Woodard's flat were 'like a little ritual'.
'It was almost like a coffee morning,' she said.
'White cider and red wine were Roger's poison.'
'Roger was a very great, generous, nice man. He would see the great in others when they wouldn't see the great in themselves.'
Speaking at the inquest Mr Armstrong said that: 'The plain fact of his case is that Roger drank himself to death.
'It's alarming that alcohol can be purchased at a price less than bottled water. A substantial number of deaths are linked to alcohol abuse.'
Mr Armstrong ruled that Mr Prosser died of acute alcohol intoxication, in the context of an underlying heart condition.