Norwich hospital has first covid free day since March
- Credit: NNUH
Norfolk’s largest hospital has marked its first “Covid free” day for the first time in four months.
Sam Higginson, chief executive of the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, announced on Friday it is the first time since mid-March that it has had no confirmed case of coronavirus in the hospital.
More: Three weeks since coronavirus related death in Norfolk’s largest hospitalCurrently 12 people are in hospital recovering after contracting the virus.
To date, 304 patients who have had Covid-19, have recovered and have been discharged from the hospital to continue their recoveries at home since the start of the pandemic.
On Thursday, it was revealed that Norfolk had one of the lowest coronavirus infection rates in England.
Ahead of easing measures coming into force on Saturday, Mr Higginson said the hospital needed to be on its guard more now than ever.
Mr Higginson said: “This is significant news and is the first time since mid-March that we have not had a confirmed case of Covid-19 in the hospital.
More: Norfolk had 600 more coronavirus cases than reported at height of pandemic“However, we are not complacent whilst Covid-19 is still in the community and we need to be on our guard more than ever as the lockdown eases.
You may also want to watch:
“The people of Norfolk and Waveney have been so supportive throughout the pandemic and we would urge everyone to continue to follow the guidance around social distancing and hand hygiene.”
- 1 Cyclist punched in the face during unprovoked attack turned away by GP
- 2 Murder investigation launched after body of man found in Norwich flat
- 3 Norwich mum and daughter duo shed 12st
- 4 Calls for lines to be repainted at 'free-for-all' city roundabout
- 5 Teenage stabbing was 'rival gang revenge’ for YouTube videos
- 6 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
- 7 Armed police called to reports of man with knife
- 8 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
- 9 How Norwich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 10 Five people spiked at three Norwich venues over the weekend