Norfolk homes plan in spotlight
Sarah HallFamilies are being invited to workshops to explore the future development of a village on the outskirts of Norwich - but have been urged to bear in mind that landowners promoting them have a vested interest in seeing more homes built.Sarah Hall
Families are being invited to workshops to explore the future development of a village on the outskirts of Norwich - but have been urged to bear in mind that landowners promoting them have a vested interest in seeing more homes built.
Planning experts Ptarmigan Land and specialist architects John Thompson and Partners (JTP) are inviting people interested in the future of Hethersett and Little Melton to take part in the Community Planning Weekend, to be held in Hethersett Village Hall on Friday and Saturday.
The organisers are Hethersett Land who say the weekend is in response to a proposal by the Greater Norwich Development Partnership (GNDP) - a collection of local councils - that new homes should be built in the village between now and 2026.
Earlier this year that group, representing a group of landowners, submitted what is known as a screening request to South Norfolk Council to look at whether up to 4,000 homes could be built around the village.
You may also want to watch:
The GNDP's blueprint for where homes should be built has earmarked Hethersett as a potential site for 1,000 new homes, but the landowners are not convinced that would be enough to generate infrastructure improvements such as new schools.
From 2pm until 7pm on Friday and from 10.30am to 3.30pm on Saturday, the community will have the chance to participate in topic workshops, walkabouts and hands-on planning groups.
- 1 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 2 Large estate to have its first food store this autumn
- 3 Audi driver more than four times over alcohol limit in Norwich
- 4 Affordable, high quality retro furniture store coming to city
- 5 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat
- 6 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 7 Pupils will start September term in different school over safety fears
- 8 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 9 Police called to troublespot Norwich hotel 324 times in two years
- 10 Major £800,000 revamp proposed for busy city road
Following the two public days, the design team will analyse and summarise the outcomes and develop an illustrated vision and indicative masterplan, which will be reported back in Hethersett High School from 7pm on Tuesday.