Norfolk homes plan in spotlight
Sarah HallFamilies are being invited to workshops to explore the future development of a village on the outskirts of Norwich - but have been urged to bear in mind that landowners promoting them have a vested interest in seeing more homes built.Sarah Hall
Families are being invited to workshops to explore the future development of a village on the outskirts of Norwich - but have been urged to bear in mind that landowners promoting them have a vested interest in seeing more homes built.
Planning experts Ptarmigan Land and specialist architects John Thompson and Partners (JTP) are inviting people interested in the future of Hethersett and Little Melton to take part in the Community Planning Weekend, to be held in Hethersett Village Hall on Friday and Saturday.
The organisers are Hethersett Land who say the weekend is in response to a proposal by the Greater Norwich Development Partnership (GNDP) - a collection of local councils - that new homes should be built in the village between now and 2026.
Earlier this year that group, representing a group of landowners, submitted what is known as a screening request to South Norfolk Council to look at whether up to 4,000 homes could be built around the village.
You may also want to watch:
The GNDP's blueprint for where homes should be built has earmarked Hethersett as a potential site for 1,000 new homes, but the landowners are not convinced that would be enough to generate infrastructure improvements such as new schools.
From 2pm until 7pm on Friday and from 10.30am to 3.30pm on Saturday, the community will have the chance to participate in topic workshops, walkabouts and hands-on planning groups.
- 1 Woman taken to hospital after police incident in Norwich
- 2 Man, 47, in court on murder charge after Thorpe stabbing
- 3 Eager shoppers queue for opening of 20-year-old's vintage clothing shop
- 4 Long-suffering A11 drivers to benefit as 50-year-old road replaced
- 5 Influencer loses one-of-a-kind wedding ring at coast
- 6 Pet carer service's appeal to survive after Covid and faulty van struggles
- 7 Story behind this famous photo of when Norwich went electric in 1957
- 8 Meat factory for sale for £1.2million earmarked for homes
- 9 Police and air ambulance called to major incident near Norwich
- 10 £1.3m property for sale on one of most popular roads in Norwich
Following the two public days, the design team will analyse and summarise the outcomes and develop an illustrated vision and indicative masterplan, which will be reported back in Hethersett High School from 7pm on Tuesday.