Norfolk film graduate sets up own video business
A film graduate has told how setting up his own business has paid off – after he struggled to find work after finishing his studies.
Tom Martin has now made several music videos and has corporate clients, and has not looked back since making the decision to become his own boss.
The 22-year-old, who studied at the University of East Anglia, said: 'I graduated in July 2010 with a first class degree in film and television.
'At university I did a lot of work experience for local companies but to get a job you need a year's work place experience. I had done some videos during university for various people and I continued to get a few calls afterwards. So I took what savings I had and bought a camera.'
He created Fast Forward Media and now 70pc of his work comes from corporate clients, such as Holden Honda and Norfolk Homes, while the remaining 30pc are creative projects, such as music videos. Mr Martin, who lives in Buxton and studied A-levels at City College Norwich, said: 'I would recommend setting up your own business for anyone who has got the passion and the drive to do something.
You may also want to watch:
'It does need to be something you really love, but be prepared because it's a lot of hard work. There's nothing to beat the feeling of being you own boss.'
Mr Martin made the video for band Ten Million Colours for their single Slow, and also a music video for up and coming Sprowston singer Tay Devlin.
- 1 'Second time this year' - Armed police called to Norwich street
- 2 'Someone will get hurt' - Frustration over pothole near Norwich surgery
- 3 Men ran over roofs to flee police after Norwich cannabis factory raid
- 4 Why Norwich must stop Debenhams becoming city centre black hole
- 5 Ex-head charged with sex attacks on boys at Norfolk school
- 6 'We offered £20k over and still lost out': Frantic housing market revealed
- 7 Elton John to kick off UK leg of farewell tour at Carrow Road
- 8 Langleys toy shop building for rent for £45,000 a year
- 9 Hopes for a summer reopening of popular park café
- 10 CCTV shows man who used stolen bank card at three Norwich stores