Norfolk cyclists’ St Tropez charity challenge
Three university friends are on the way to St Tropez as they take part in an 1,000 mile charity challenge.
The 21-year-olds – Ben Harwood from Long Stratton, Jack Carpenter from Spooner Row, near Wymondham, and Tom Porter from Leeds – hope to raise �10,000 for Cancer Research UK by cycling the 1,000 miles from their University of Hertfordshire base in Hatfield all the way to St Tropez in the south of France.
They started their two-wheeled fundraiser – which they are calling All The Way To St Tropez – on Friday and are aiming to cycle about 100 miles a day to complete their challenge.
Mr Harwood said: 'We decided we wanted to set ourselves a challenge for charity, and we wanted to support Cancer Research UK because both myself and Jack have lost grandparents to cancer and Tom has a grandparent going through treatment at the moment.
'We are doing the cycle ride for our grandparents and also other people affected by cancer.'
He said they started their training for the challenge at Christmas and hope to raise as much money as they can.
'We started off wanting to raise �5,000 but at the moment we are at �5,500 and we are now aiming for �10,000,' Mr Harwood said.
- 1 Norwich Airport TUI flight delayed by 42 hours
- 2 5 new shop openings in Norwich to look forward to
- 3 Road closures revealed for Lord Mayor's Celebration
- 4 Landlady 'hard at work' as city pub prepares for July reopening
- 5 Can you spot yourself at the Simply Red gig at Earlham Park?
- 6 Police called after sudden death at home near Norwich
- 7 Peter Crouch speaks on bid to track down his 'Norfolk husband'
- 8 Carriageway of A11 closed after air ambulance called to crash
- 9 Blanket ban: Standing room only for Simply Red fans
- 10 Family sue Wetherspoon after man falls to death in city pub
'We have put a lot into this and it is a great cause, and something we are very passionate about.
'It would be fantastic if people could donate and help us reach �10,000.'
For more information about All The Way To St Tropez and to donate funds go to www.virginmoneygiving.com/ alltheway
To see updates about the cycling challenge as the trio progress on their journey from Hatfield to St Tropez visit www.facebook.com/ 321alltheway
Are you taking part in an epic challenge for a good cause? Call Norwich Evening News reporter Emma Knights on 01603 772428 or email email@example.com