Nordic walk planned at outside Norfolk gym
Stephen PullingerA Nordic walk has been planned at an outdoor gym near Great Yarmouth.Stephen Pullinger
A Nordic walk has been planned at an outdoor gym near Great Yarmouth.
The walk, which will invite the public to use poles to improve their posture, will take place at adiZone, a free outdoor venue on Mill Lane playing field, Bradwell, on Thursday, May 13.
NHS Great Yarmouth and Waveney's exercise referral team has set up the walk to encourage more people to use the free facility which offers all the usual gym equipment in an outdoor space.
Charles Allen, exercise referral co-ordinator for the PCT, said: 'Nordic walking uses poles in order to add two major benefits to walking. The use of poles means the upper body muscles are used as well as the legs.
You may also want to watch:
'The poles help to propel the walker along - this means he or she works harder than usual yet the support given by the poles makes it feel easier.'
Along with the Nordic walk on May 13, there will be a one-and-a-half mile healthy walk aimed at people who are not as active, and qualified gym instructors will be at the venue to help people use the equipment.
- 1 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 2 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat
- 3 Affordable, high quality retro furniture store coming to city
- 4 Audi driver more than four times over alcohol limit in Norwich
- 5 Pupils will start September term in different school over safety fears
- 6 Large estate to have its first food store this autumn
- 7 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 8 Major £800,000 revamp proposed for busy city road
- 9 Police called to troublespot Norwich hotel 324 times in two years
- 10 Have your say on plans for new nature reserve on edge of Norwich
Youngsters can drop in for a new and free youth activity club activity at the Mill Lane community centre including supervised use of the adiZone from Friday, April 16. Activities will include street dance, basketball, football, power kiting, turbo bike time trials and use of the adiZone from 5.30pm to 7.30pm for 10 weeks.
For more information on adiZone or any of the events to be held there, contact the exercise referral team on 01493 744422.