New Yarmouth youth club helps cut anti-social behaviour
Anthony CarrollA group of youngsters at a new Great Yarmouth youth club are helping to reduce antisocial behaviour by spreading a positive message.Anthony Carroll
A group of youngsters at a new Great Yarmouth youth club are helping to reduce antisocial behaviour by spreading a positive message.
Every Thursday afternoon, about a dozen children rush to take part in fun activities at Fusion, which is based in the Middlegate Community Association hut in Townsend Close.
The youngsters also discuss problems such as anti-social behaviour and bullying and have even drawn up their own code of conduct, such as no shouting, keeping mobile phones on silent and respecting each other.
Because of the club's positive attitude in promoting good behaviour over the last five months, the number of incidents of antisocial behaviour reported in the area has fallen dramatically.
You may also want to watch:
One of the prime movers behind the group is police community support officer for south Yarmouth Heather Wright, who said: 'It gives them something to do and teaches them to how to respect each other and other people.
'You can hear the children calling it their hut and they are all very proud of it.'
- 1 Norwich firm fined £1m over explosion which killed much-loved father
- 2 'Sneaky and selfish' changes to bus route slammed
- 3 Man appears in court over Thorpe St Andrew murder
- 4 Inconvenience store: Family business blighted by roadworks
- 5 Man found in city flat named at inquest
- 6 Eyesore tags or street art? Artists on graffiti 'tagging' trend
- 7 ‘Now is NOT the time’: Bosses’ backlash over congestion charge idea
- 8 Hungry and helpless: Rough sleepers' fears ahead of harsh winter
- 9 Villagers' outrage as trees and hedges axed in ongoing battle
- 10 Driver dies in crash on A47
Michael Blank treasurer of the Middlegate Community Association said: 'You don't need large facilities to try to change things - you just need the will. It is tremendous what the club is doing.
'Five years ago the Middlegate area had a large antisocial problem especially with burnt out cars.
'Now the main complaint is snowball fights - that is a massive change in behaviour.'