New viewing platform over river Wensum for Norwich Playhouse Bar?
Visitors to a popular bar in the city centre could soon be enjoying their drinks on a new viewing platform over the river Wensum, if plans are approved.
The Playhouse Bar in St George's Street, next to the Playhouse, has long been a popular hang-out for nearby art school students, with its outside seating area, which is virtually enclosed by trees, one of the big attractions, especially in summer.
Norwich Playhouse Trust has applied to Norwich City Council for a single storey extension to the west and south of the bar to form a bar extension, plus toilets and storage.
The proposal is also for the removal of an external bin storage area to be replaced by paving to St George's Street, and the installation of a viewing platform over the river with access next to St George's Bridge.
The work, if approved, will form part of an ongoing makeover that also includes sprucing up outside tables.
The Playhouse Bar is popular for a number of reasons, including the food and drinks. Customers like it because there is always a copy of a crossword at hand, as a photocopy, which they can do while supping.
Norwich Playhouse general manager Caroline Richardson did not wish to comment on the application, which will be discussed by city council planners at a later date.
- 1 Teen slapped with six points on licence - but she can't even drive
- 2 Changes on the way for listed pub after plans given green light
- 3 Can you spot yourself in the Lord Mayor's Procession crowd?
- 4 Everything you need to know ahead of the Great Norwich Duck Race
- 5 Two neighbouring properties go up for sale - and they both need some TLC
- 6 New pub landlord welcomes back families and introduces street food menu
- 7 Pupils reach for the rainbow for Norwich Pride Schools Week
- 8 Pirates, dragons and fireworks light up Lord Mayor's celebrations
- 9 Buses damaged in city centre collision
- 10 'Our lives changed forever' - Parents pay tribute to six-week-old Chloe
The Evening News has been urging people to return to pubs in our Love your Local campaign.
To see more stories from the campaign visit www.evening news24.co.uk/loveyourlocal