New scheme helps hundreds of college students try new sporting activities
- Credit: Archant
City College Norwich has claimed a big success in the number of students who have taken part in new sporting activities during the current academic year.
Last year, the college appointed a college sport maker, Chloe McMorran, with funding from Sport England.
The target was to engage 200 students in activities each year for five years, but more than 600 have done so in 2013-14.
The appointment of Ms McMorran followed a successful bid for £105,000 funding from Sport England, and an investment of £45,000 from the college.
This first year of the initiative has seen the introduction of a raft of new sporting opportunities and activities for students at the college, branded as the 'CCN Active' programme, which emphasises increasing participation and promoting a healthy lifestyle for students as well as competitive sports.
Ms McMorran was a pre-games training camp manager for the London 2012 Olympics, working with international gymnastics teams in the build up to the games.
She said: 'It has been a really successful first year for CCN Active. It has been brilliant to have the opportunity, with the help of our excellent student activators and external partners, to create so many sporting opportunities and physical activities available for students at City College Norwich. There is currently a lot on the horizon for CCN Active, many exciting developments, so look out for lots more opportunities to get active coming soon.
- 1 City teen named Ikea drops furniture brand as first name
- 2 Norwich chippy ranked as one of best in UK
- 3 'It would mean everything to get it back': Heartfelt plea to reunite widow with engagement ring
- 4 'What on earth!' - City folk baffled by obstacle cone stuck in pavement
- 5 Escaped giant eagle owl spotted in Norwich city centre
- 6 Neighbourhood bemused after garage turned into barber shop
- 7 Smokehouse launches takeaway Sunday roasts with loaded Yorkshire puddings
- 8 City flat with spiral staircase and balcony bedroom for sale for £190k
- 9 Bolted e-bike worth 'more than £1,000' nabbed from Norwich home
- 10 House of horrors: Is this the worst council property in Norwich?
'CCN Active's strapline is 'inspiring a healthier and more active generation at City College Norwich', and that is exactly what we are working towards, ensuring our students gain from all the secondary benefits that being physically healthy brings.'
Have you helped students take part in sport? Write, giving contact details, to Letters Editor, Prospect House, Rouen Road, Norwich NR1 1RE or email@example.com