New play equipment graces Norfolk village
Anthony CarrollMore than 20 children in a Norfolk village had an extra Easter surprise as they tried out their new �20,000 play area.Anthony Carroll
More than 20 children in a Norfolk village had an extra Easter surprise as they tried out their new �20,000 play area.
The youngsters could be seen scrabbling up climbing frames, flying down slides and trying out swings at the playing field in Halvergate, near Great Yarmouth.
Yesterday morning's scenes of children eagerly rushing to try out their fun facilities was the culmination of a two-year project by the Halvergate Playing Association to give youngsters more to do in the village and replace a previous aging play area.
Carole Hannant, playing field association secretary, said: 'It has been a wonderful day. The children were very keen to get out there and try out the play area.
You may also want to watch:
'I am sure it will be well used. The playing fields are already an important community facility, with football pitches and a multi use area, and the play area will add to that.'
The only thing missing from yesterday's celebration was the chance for children to go round and round on a swivelling giant mushroom, which is due to be delivered soon.
- 1 In photos: Norwich transformed but deserted in lockdown snowfall
- 2 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 3 Drag Race star kicks off BBC show stint with Norwich City theme
- 4 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 5 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 6 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 7 Pizza and Yorkshire pudding wrap takeaway opening in Norwich
- 8 Tributes paid to 'happy and giggly' woman who died aged 23
- 9 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 10 'Village would be worse without it' - Owner on plans for 17th century pub
Most of the funding for the work on the Wickhampton Road play area came from the Big Lottery Awards for All fund and the Halvergate Townlands Trust.