New Norwich post office to be officially opened today
- Credit: copyright: Archant 2013
The new Vauxhall Street post office will be officially opened in Norwich today.
It will mark the successful end to the community's long-running battle to keep the post office in the area.
Controversy was sparked last year when Malcolm Wright, sub-postmaster of the Vauxhall Street branch in Norwich, said he did not want to continue running it.
Post Office Ltd had favoured an application from Hurn Chemist to move the branch to Unthank Road, rather than to the Vauxhall Street Pharmacy, two doors down.
Hundreds of people signed a petition against the move, which many said would make it harder for less-mobile people to use the service.
You may also want to watch:
Post Office Ltd said earlier this year that it had changed its mind and instead proposed to move the branch to the Vauxhall Street Pharmacy.
Now the new branch, which opened its doors on Tuesday, will be officially opened by Norwich South MP Simon Wright at 10am. The new base will offer extended opening hours and a new car-tax renewal service.
- 1 'Our lives are being destroyed': Neighbours' despair over noisy students
- 2 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 3 'The final straw' - Bakery fears closure over council plans
- 4 Norwich named UK's most romantic destination
- 5 Man found dead at Thorpe St Andrew home
- 6 City staff facing 'mass burnout' but what is behind the extreme exhaustion?
- 7 Diversions in place on A47 near Norwich due to flooding
- 8 Petrol attack shopkeeper opens spice shop and restaurant in former pub
- 9 Fresh plans for rooftop bar on St Stephens
- 10 See inside this quirky bungalow for sale near Norwich railway station
Mr Wright said: 'I've been campaigning alongside residents to keep a Post Office branch on Vauxhall Street since 2008, so I'm absolutely delighted that its long-term future has been secured.
'The new branch not only keeps a vital community service in easy reach of its customers, but also offers extended hours and car-tax renewal.
'I'm delighted to have the opportunity to celebrate the ribbon cutting with local residents.'
Do you have a business story? Call business editor Shaun Lowthorpe on 01603 772471, or email firstname.lastname@example.org