New Norwich post office to be officially opened today
- Credit: copyright: Archant 2013
The new Vauxhall Street post office will be officially opened in Norwich today.
It will mark the successful end to the community's long-running battle to keep the post office in the area.
Controversy was sparked last year when Malcolm Wright, sub-postmaster of the Vauxhall Street branch in Norwich, said he did not want to continue running it.
Post Office Ltd had favoured an application from Hurn Chemist to move the branch to Unthank Road, rather than to the Vauxhall Street Pharmacy, two doors down.
Hundreds of people signed a petition against the move, which many said would make it harder for less-mobile people to use the service.
Post Office Ltd said earlier this year that it had changed its mind and instead proposed to move the branch to the Vauxhall Street Pharmacy.
Now the new branch, which opened its doors on Tuesday, will be officially opened by Norwich South MP Simon Wright at 10am. The new base will offer extended opening hours and a new car-tax renewal service.
- 1 Two neighbouring properties go up for sale - and they both need some TLC
- 2 Vehicles worth £50k stolen from Royal Norfolk Show
- 3 Most desirable places to live in Norwich according to estate agents
- 4 Road closures revealed for Lord Mayor's Celebration
- 5 Street food restaurant launches unlimited wings night
- 6 All you need to know ahead of the Lord Mayor's Celebration 2022
- 7 'You owe us!': Furious holidaymakers demand compo
- 8 Fine dining Indian restaurant named best in region at awards
- 9 Sign of the times: After 187 years jeweller Winsor Bishop changes name
- 10 Primary school left without governors after mass walkout
Mr Wright said: 'I've been campaigning alongside residents to keep a Post Office branch on Vauxhall Street since 2008, so I'm absolutely delighted that its long-term future has been secured.
'The new branch not only keeps a vital community service in easy reach of its customers, but also offers extended hours and car-tax renewal.
'I'm delighted to have the opportunity to celebrate the ribbon cutting with local residents.'
Do you have a business story? Call business editor Shaun Lowthorpe on 01603 772471, or email firstname.lastname@example.org