New nightclub with rooftop bar set to open in city centre
- Credit: Simon Finlay
Europe's largest nightclub operator has revealed plans to open a new venue in the heart of Norwich's clubland - which will be split across three rooms and have its own rooftop terrace.
Scandinavian hospitality giant Rekom, which through its Milton Keynes-based UK arm took over the company behind Bar and Beyond, has confirmed plans for a new venue alongside the bar.
The new club will be set across three rooms on Prince of Wales Road and will see part of the building's roof raised to create a rooftop bar and outdoor smoking terrace.
The club, which is yet to be given a name, is still in the early stages of planning but could open by the end of 2021.
A spokesperson from Rekom UK said: “We have taken on the space adjacent to Bar and Beyond with plans to create an exciting new, three-room club concept, which will feature a rooftop terrace bar and smoking area.
"It’s very early days but we do hope to open by the end of the year. It’s been an extremely tough 18 months for the late night sector, so it’s great to see Rekom investing in nightclubs, creating jobs and generating much-needed footfall and revenue to the cities and towns in which it operates.”
The building was previously occupied by Liquid nightclub, which closed in 2008.
- 1 Sign of the times: After 187 years jeweller Winsor Bishop changes name
- 2 WATCH: Taxi driver throws punch as narrow street causes aggro
- 3 Most desirable places to live in Norwich according to estate agents
- 4 Roads closed as armed police and dog units swoop on Norwich home
- 5 Cannabis factory discovered in Norwich home after police raid
- 6 'You owe us!': Furious holidaymakers demand compo
- 7 City garden centre launches street food nights with popular vendors
- 8 Staff 'distraught' after sought-after nursery closes
- 9 'Disgusting!' Woman's fury over Simply Red toilets and access
- 10 Cabbies could protest over lost £400 a month
In 2017, planning permission was granted to convert the building, which is directly next door to Bar and Beyond, into offices. However, this never came to fruition and the permission has since expired - paving the way for it to once again become a nightclub.
And Rekom UK has a planning application in with Norwich City Council looking to lift part of the roof above the building's second floor, creating a rooftop bar and smoking terrace.
Papers submitted with the bid say: "By providing a secure 'external' space for those customers that wish to smoke to do so, the need to allow customers to exit the nightclub and smoke on Prince of Wales Road can be avoided."
Norwich City Council will consider the application in due course.