New mother goes missing after abandoning baby at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital
Kate ScotterA mother has gone missing after abandoning her newborn baby at Norwich's main hospital.Kate Scotter
A mother has gone missing after abandoning her newborn baby at Norwich's main hospital.
Agnieszka Marciniaki, 32, was last seen at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital at about 11.30am on Saturday, January 30.
She had given birth to a baby girl earlier in the day and later left the hospital, telling medics she would return once she had had gathered some possessions. She has not returned.
Det Insp Matt Sharman, who is leading the investigation, said: 'We are concerned for Agnieszka's whereabouts and are working with our colleagues in children's services to try and locate her.
'She had given birth to a baby girl earlier in the day and then left the hospital pledging to return once she had collected some personal belongings. Our aim is to reunite Agnieszka with her baby who is fit and well.
'I am appealing to anyone who knows Agnieszka or anyone who thinks they may have seen her to contact us. I also appeal to Agnieszka herself to return and see her baby. I would stress that she is not in trouble and can return without fear that she will be arrested.'
- 1 REVEALED: New leisure venue replacing Riverside Chinese
- 2 Roads closed as armed police and dog units swoop on Norwich home
- 3 Final warning for officer following clash between two women and cops
- 4 Norwich family heart-broken to find charity plants stolen
- 5 Restaurant loses walk-in trade after months of roadworks
- 6 Three-vehicle crash closes part of A47 near Norwich
- 7 Huge chalet bungalow for sale near Norwich offers 'oasis' for £700k
- 8 Teenager holding knife chases boy along city road
- 9 Woman in serious condition in hospital after crash between two cars and van
- 10 Revealed: All the city road closures for Run Norwich
The baby has been put into temporary care by Norfolk County Council's children's services.
Lisa Christensen, the county council's director for children's services, said: 'We have been working with the hospital and the police to ensure the safety and welfare of Agnieszka's baby. The baby is in good health and being well looked after.
'We would urge Agnieszka to make contact with the police as soon as possible, for the sake of both herself and her daughter.'
Agnieszka is white with a round face and short dark hair and has a good grasp of the English language.
She arrived in the UK from Poland last week and it is believed she has connections with friends in the Lakenham and Tuckswood area of Norwich.
Anyone with any information regarding Agnieszka's whereabouts should call Det Insp Sharman on 0845 456 4567.
Do you have a story for the Evening News? Contact reporter Kate Scotter on 01603 772326 or email email@example.com.