New Mall shop to create 40 jobs in Norwich
A new retailer set to fill the largest shop space in The Mall Norwich has today revealed the new business would create 40 jobs in the city.
Value retailer Family Bargains, owned by the 99p Stores Group, will open its doors in Norwich on Tuesday, February 1.
The store will occupy the 17,000-square-foot corner unit formerly used by clothing retailer H&M, which has been empty for more than a year and is the largest space in The Mall,
Bosses at the store are working with Jobcentre Plus to fill the 40 vacancies, which range from customer assistants to stock controllers and stock replenishment officers.
Latest unemployment figures show that across the UK, the level of people out of work aged from 16 to 24 stands at 951,000 – the highest figure since records began in 1992.
You may also want to watch:
It is that age group that could benefit from the type of jobs that Home Bargains are bringing to the city.
Hussein Lalani, co-founder of 99p Stores Group, said: 'It is hopefully good for the region that we are bringing some new jobs.
- 1 Man charged with murder after fatal stabbing in Thorpe
- 2 City beer gardens heaving as lockdown eases and Norwich City promoted
- 3 Queues and tunes as life returns to city on Saturday after shops reopen
- 4 Kill the Bill protestors take to Norwich streets
- 5 Man detained under mental health act after Norwich disturbance
- 6 Two Norwich fish and chip shops named among top 50 in the country
- 7 Norwich City fans gather at Carrow Road to celebrate promotion
- 8 Eager shoppers queue for opening of 20-year-old's vintage clothing shop
- 9 NORWICH CITY ARE PROMOTED TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE
- 10 Sweepers clean up in city after busy Saturday night - and punters behave
'We obviously don't discriminate against anyone who applies to work for us, whatever their age, but often with entry-level retail jobs we do tend to get the younger people applying.
'I would like to think we are a good company to work for, there is plenty of hard work, as you would expect, but we do offer a good career path as well.'
The 99p Store in Anglia Square that the group also owns is 'one of our most popular in the UK', according to Mr Lalani, so they are hopeful that the store will prove to be a similar success.
He added: 'I'm really looking forward to opening our second store in Norwich and I'm quite confident that the Family Bargains brand will do well in Norwich.
'It is one of the main shopping areas in the east of England, if not the main one, so it is important to us to have Norwich in our company's portfolio.'
The Mall's marketing manager, Victoria Haverson, is also looking forward to welcoming Family Bargains into the organisations stable of retailers.
She said: 'We're all very excited about the arrival of Family Bargains at The Mall Norwich. It's a great addition to the shopping centre and comes at a time when shoppers are looking to get the best value for money they can.'
Looking for a new job? See the jobs section in the Evening News every Wednesday or visit www.jobs24.co.uk for the best selection of local vacancies
Have you got a story about a new shop or business opening in Norwich? Call reporter David Freezer on 01603 772418 or email email@example.com