New head for Norfolk high school
Matthew SparkesOld Buckenham High School once again has full time leadership this term as new headmaster Peter Whear takes the reins.Matthew Sparkes
Old Buckenham High School once again has full time leadership this term as new headmaster Peter Whear takes the reins.
The school had been without a head for several months last year when the previous holder of the position, Graham Hodson, took early retirement.
In September the school temporarily seconded Michael Rose, headmaster at Wayland Community School in Watton, as acting headmaster, and Mr Whear was appointed by governors in November.
He began in the job this week as students returned from the Christmas break, and he said he had a 'fantastic' first day.
Mr Whear, 44, was previously deputy head at Haling Manor in Croydon for six years before spending just three months at Ravens Wood School in Kent.
The new head said that he took the job because he saw that the school had 'real potential'.
- 1 Former Norwich restaurant to be transformed into £1.5m food hall
- 2 Family living in city's 'worst' council house despair over new damp
- 3 See inside this 'stunning' £700k family home for sale in a Norwich suburb
- 4 Norwich City star and fan groups back call for drums at Carrow Road
- 5 Mum-to-be outraged after yobs vandalise 13 cars in suburb
- 6 Man refusing to pay rent for council flat over 16-year mould problem
- 7 Extra security measures approved for flats plagued by drug use
- 8 Norwich's tiniest pub completes facelift
- 9 'Torrid time' as insurance giant Marsh quits city centre
- 10 Graduate outraged after being handed tax bill for unoccupied student digs
'As a school we have a motto, which is 'achieving excellence together',' he said. 'I've spoken to all the staff and the students and reminded them of that.'