New head for Norfolk high school
Matthew SparkesOld Buckenham High School once again has full time leadership this term as new headmaster Peter Whear takes the reins.Matthew Sparkes
Old Buckenham High School once again has full time leadership this term as new headmaster Peter Whear takes the reins.
The school had been without a head for several months last year when the previous holder of the position, Graham Hodson, took early retirement.
In September the school temporarily seconded Michael Rose, headmaster at Wayland Community School in Watton, as acting headmaster, and Mr Whear was appointed by governors in November.
He began in the job this week as students returned from the Christmas break, and he said he had a 'fantastic' first day.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Whear, 44, was previously deputy head at Haling Manor in Croydon for six years before spending just three months at Ravens Wood School in Kent.
The new head said that he took the job because he saw that the school had 'real potential'.
- 1 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 2 Hopes raised former pub could become community hub
- 3 'Accidents waiting to happen' - Mum vows not to give up 20mph fight
- 4 Up and coming Norwich musician reaches number 13 in UK charts
- 5 Giant Victorian underground reservoir marks supplying city for 150 years
- 6 Before and after: How has Norwich changed over the years?
- 7 Former village pub for sale as home
- 8 'We're all shocked' - Butchers shop attacked by vandals
- 9 Opposition grows over charges to park in Norwich parks
- 10 Shock as cannabis factory found in quiet Broads' village
'As a school we have a motto, which is 'achieving excellence together',' he said. 'I've spoken to all the staff and the students and reminded them of that.'