Park to see thank you bench put up for NHS and key workers
- Credit: Sent by Sharon Blundell
A bench thanking NHS staff and key workers for their efforts during the coronavirus lockdown will be put up in a large housing development.
The metal thank you bench, made by Fabrications North East Limited near Darlington, will sit permanently in the Denes Play Park near Sir Alfred Munnings Road on Queen’s Hill, Costessey.
It is believed to be the first in Norfolk, according to Costessey Town Council member Gary Blundell, who put forward the proposal to other members on June 23.
MORE: NHS workers receive Easter egg donation from businessesHis wife, Sharon Blundell, who represents Old Costessey and Queen’s Hill on South Norfolk Council, was sent a picture of another thank you bench in the UK and wanted one in Costessey.
The idea was approved by the town council after seven votes backing the plan. Six people voted against it.
Mr Blundell said the £900 bench, which will be paid for by the town council, said: “Sharon and I are over the moon. It is a fitting tribute.”
It will be installed by the district council in around a month’s time and will be dedicated to key workers from the whole of Costessey.
For the latest COVID-19 news, visit the Norfolk Coronavirus Updates Facebook page.
Click here to find out more about the EDP’s Here to Help campaign.
You can also subscribe to our daily coronavirus newsletter, providing all the latest from where you live.
- 1 High-flyer at school to heroin addict - City homeless man reveals his story
- 2 Cockapoo Café coming to Norwich next month
- 3 'I can't lose!' City fan places 150/1 bet on Canaries dismal scoring record
- 4 From mustard to postcodes: 15 things Norwich has given the world
- 5 Man sentenced for two robberies in two days
- 6 Traffic and infrastructure fears as major housing project starts
- 7 Struggles to move out of Norfolk continue after school attack
- 8 Staff and customers gutted after fire badly damages popular takeaway
- 9 'Covid has killed us' - 65-year-old Norwich venue The Talk to close
- 10 Speculation mounts over future of city's Debenhams store