New cafe/restaurant opens at former bespoke tailors in Timberhill, Norwich
A new cafe and restaurant has opened at a former bespoke tailors and shirtmakers in Norwich city centre.
F.A. Stones & Sons closed its doors at its Timberhill shop earlier this year, after 16 years in the street. The business had been in Norwich for 137 years, but closed because there was no family successor to take it over from Diana Dewing, nee Stone, who was retiring.
The new owners are Kurt Hewitt and wife Bec George-Hewitt, who said it had been a quick turnaround of just two weeks and two days from collecting the keys to opening yesterday.
Mrs George-Hewitt said: 'It's been fully redecorated and there's a new floor and we moved a doorway to make a disabled toilet.
'This is my first business, but I have worked in the hospitality trade for about 20 years.
You may also want to watch:
'When we saw this we thought it was the perfect place. We like Timberhill and the amount of footfall it has.
'I worked at the Murderers pub in Timberhill before. I knew it was an upmarket hill, but it did not have a restaurant/cafe before.'
- 1 'Second time this year' - Armed police called to Norwich street
- 2 'Someone will get hurt' - Frustration over pothole near Norwich surgery
- 3 Men ran over roofs to flee police after Norwich cannabis factory raid
- 4 Why Norwich must stop Debenhams becoming city centre black hole
- 5 Langleys toy shop building for rent for £45,000 a year
- 6 'Unacceptable': Council hits out at soiled clothing left in public toilets
- 7 'We offered £20k over and still lost out': Frantic housing market revealed
- 8 CCTV shows man who used stolen bank card at three Norwich stores
- 9 Ex-head charged with sex attacks on boys at Norfolk school
- 10 Elton John to kick off UK leg of farewell tour at Carrow Road
She said the name for the new business 'Tea and little Cakes' came from an old saying of her grandmother's.
'She used to take us for afternoon tea but she always said that she was taking us for tea and little cakes,' she said.
Her son Gabriel is also working at the premises as a kitchen hand and it also employs two part-time chefs, a full-time chef, and five floor staff.
Are you starting a new business in the Norwich area? Contact reporter David Bale on 01603 772427 or email email@example.com.