New cafe/restaurant opens at former bespoke tailors in Timberhill, Norwich
A new cafe and restaurant has opened at a former bespoke tailors and shirtmakers in Norwich city centre.
F.A. Stones & Sons closed its doors at its Timberhill shop earlier this year, after 16 years in the street. The business had been in Norwich for 137 years, but closed because there was no family successor to take it over from Diana Dewing, nee Stone, who was retiring.
The new owners are Kurt Hewitt and wife Bec George-Hewitt, who said it had been a quick turnaround of just two weeks and two days from collecting the keys to opening yesterday.
Mrs George-Hewitt said: 'It's been fully redecorated and there's a new floor and we moved a doorway to make a disabled toilet.
'This is my first business, but I have worked in the hospitality trade for about 20 years.
'When we saw this we thought it was the perfect place. We like Timberhill and the amount of footfall it has.
'I worked at the Murderers pub in Timberhill before. I knew it was an upmarket hill, but it did not have a restaurant/cafe before.'
- 1 Roads closed as armed police and dog units swoop on Norwich home
- 2 REVEALED: New leisure venue replacing Riverside Chinese
- 3 Huge chalet bungalow for sale near Norwich offers 'oasis' for £700k
- 4 Restaurant loses walk-in trade after months of roadworks
- 5 Lakeside proposal gone wrong watched by millions on TikTok
- 6 Cannabis factory discovered in Norwich home after police raid
- 7 Teenager holding knife chases boy along city road
- 8 Final warning for officer following clash between two women and cops
- 9 New courts, please! Tennis controversy continues in Norwich
- 10 Three-vehicle crash closes part of A47 near Norwich
She said the name for the new business 'Tea and little Cakes' came from an old saying of her grandmother's.
'She used to take us for afternoon tea but she always said that she was taking us for tea and little cakes,' she said.
Her son Gabriel is also working at the premises as a kitchen hand and it also employs two part-time chefs, a full-time chef, and five floor staff.
Are you starting a new business in the Norwich area? Contact reporter David Bale on 01603 772427 or email email@example.com.