Norwich City cancelled show by controversial conspiracy theorist due to ‘security advice’
- Credit: Archant
It has been revealed a controversial conspiracy theorist had a show cancelled by Norwich City Football Club after it was contacted by police.
David Icke was set to present at a 'top secret location' at the end of April after Norwich City Council cancelled his booking at The Halls following a 'number of concerns'.
And following a Freedom of Information (FOI) request by the former professional footballer to Norfolk Constabulary, it has been confirmed the secret venue was Carrow Road.
The 66-year-old published the FOI response on his website and claimed the force had worked to 'deny freedom of speech and assembly'.
Mr Icke had requested copies 'of all communications between Norfolk Police and other parties with regard to my planned presentation event at Norwich City Football Club on April 30th 2018.'
You may also want to watch:
The force's response, which redacted direct mentions of the Club, included references of other events cancelled across the country and that some communities in Norwich were 'very concerned about his messaging'.
One email stated that Manchester United had cancelled a booking of his and later said 'there appears to be little public support for Icke and a lot of criticism of his views. However, the more circumspect reviewers seem to see him as a curiosity rather than a danger.'
- 1 'Eyesore' bus won't be removed despite neighbours' pleas
- 2 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 3 'Such a shame': Social media scammer targets Norwich pub
- 4 Tenant's despair as council fixes his windows by screwing them shut
- 5 Neighbours' terror as bleeding man found in garden after street fight
- 6 How Norwich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 7 Huge Gothic home on edge of city cemetery is for sale for £1.2m
- 8 'Lives are at risk'-Patients' concerns over surgery appointment struggles
- 9 One of Norwich's most photographed homes is up for sale
- 10 'Significant' amount of cash and electronics stolen from city home
A later email stated: 'I have been in contact with the Club and made them aware of the community concerns. After taking advice internally, they have taken the decision to cancel.'
Following the publication of the FOI response, a spokesman for Norwich City Football Club confirmed the event had been pulled.
He said: 'The Club can confirm an event was initially booked with Mr Icke but we decided not to go ahead after receiving security advice.'
A spokesman for Norfolk Constabulary added: 'We work closely with event organisers at a number of events. Ultimately any decision to cancel an event is down to the organiser.'
Mr Icke's conspiracy theories include that the moon is hollow and the world is run by alien reptiles.