National radio stardom for Norwich band
A thrilled Norwich band are set to reach an audience of millions after one of their tunes was selected to be played on every daytime show on a national radio station for a week.
City five-piece Bearsuit will have their new single Please Don't Take Him Back played on national digital radio station BBC 6Music after it was picked by listeners for the regular airings.
The song went head to head with two other indie tunes in the Rebel Playlist section of Steve Lamacq's show and garnered enough votes to be played on every daytime show on the channel next week.
Bearsuit singer and keyboard player Lisa Horton said: 'We really pulled out all the stops to get as many of our fans as possible to vote using social media like Twitter and Facebook.
'We even managed to get support from Phill Jupitus who sent out a Tweet recommending the track.
'I still can't quite believe we won though. We were up against some strong competition and apparently it was one of the closest fought Rebel Playlist competitions on 6Music ever.
'It means that our new single Please Don't Take Him Back will be played on each and every daytime 6Music programme for a whole week next week.
- 1 Riverside pub undergoes £80k refurb in time for summer
- 2 City burger joint takes beef off the menu
- 3 Drivers bemused as underwear strewn across pedestrian crossing
- 4 11 reasons why Norwich is the best city
- 5 Watch: A handful of protesters gather as City thumped on last day of season
- 6 Everything you need to know about the Sweet Briar Road closure
- 7 Major changes coming to the sale of domestic fuels
- 8 Norwich man charged with kidnap after posing as a taxi driver
- 9 Key worker couple celebrate 'fairy tale' day after winning £32,000 wedding
- 10 'Amazing to be nominated after just three years' - City restaurant on award
'It will give us more radio exposure that we've ever had before which we hope will help propel us up to the next level.'
The single, which will be released through the Fortuna Pop label on Monday, October 25, defeated competition from Tom Williams & The Boat and Dutch Uncles to be selected by listeners.
Miss Horton said: 'We've been giddy with excitement ever since the news was announced on the radio on Monday night. We all tuned in and we've been skipping around on cloud nine since.
'We're doing a 10-date tour round the UK this month to promote the single, so hopefully we'll have some really busy shows off the back of the exposure.
'We had so much support from our friends and fan base – we really can't thank everyone who voted for us enough, and especially the Evening News for giving us a big push in the paper and online.'
Bearsuit, who were championed by the late John Peel in his BBC Radio 1 days, will be playing at Take 5 in Tombland on Saturday, October 16.
• You can see the video for Please Don't Take Him Back by visiting the Evening News website at www.eveningnews24.co.uk
• Make sure you get the Evening News every Friday for our Going Out section, your guide to what's on in and around Norwich - including details of gigs by local bands.
You can also visit the Going Out section on the website at www.eveningnews24.co.uk