N&N visitor warning to stop spread of virus
Dan GrimmerMembers of the public are being asked not to visit the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital if they have been ill with a stomach bug in the past three days or in close contact with someone who has had sickness or diarrhoea.Dan Grimmer
Members of the public are being asked not to visit the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital if they have been ill with a stomach bug in the past three days or in close contact with someone who has had sickness or diarrhoea.
The hospital has acted in a bid to stop the spread of the norovirus stomach bug, which causes nausea and diarrhoea.
Dr Judith Richards, director of infection prevention and control at the N&N, said: 'We want to protect our patients by restricting the chances of people spreading this infection.
'For this reason, regrettably, we are asking that people do not visit patients, unless absolutely necessary. It's very important that people who have had the virus, or been in contact with someone who has had it, take precautions to avoid spreading it. That means not going back to work or school until two days after the symptoms have stopped.'
You may also want to watch:
The spread of infection is easiest in places where group of people are in close proximity such as residential homes, schools, hospitals and workplaces.
The virus lasts around two days and no treatment is required, however, even after the symptoms have cleared up, people may still carry the virus and infect others up to three days after their own symptoms have stopped.
- 1 Fresh questions over 'Japanese restaurant' in Norwich home
- 2 Contact tracers report pair to police for ignoring self-isolation
- 3 New owners of hairdressers plan to buy out 10 salons in six months
- 4 ITV Anglia News presenter Jonathan Wills leaving after 13 years
- 5 Legal charity to move into part of disused city pub
- 6 ‘We miss the hustle and bustle’ - Norwich shoppers long for lockdown end
- 7 9 of the best farm shops in Norfolk
- 8 Woman tried to smuggle drugs into jail in trousers
- 9 The Norwich pub quiz: do you know your locals?
- 10 Roads to shut as end of £2.5m street revamp work nears