N&N visitor warning to stop spread of virus
Dan GrimmerMembers of the public are being asked not to visit the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital if they have been ill with a stomach bug in the past three days or in close contact with someone who has had sickness or diarrhoea.Dan Grimmer
Members of the public are being asked not to visit the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital if they have been ill with a stomach bug in the past three days or in close contact with someone who has had sickness or diarrhoea.
The hospital has acted in a bid to stop the spread of the norovirus stomach bug, which causes nausea and diarrhoea.
Dr Judith Richards, director of infection prevention and control at the N&N, said: 'We want to protect our patients by restricting the chances of people spreading this infection.
'For this reason, regrettably, we are asking that people do not visit patients, unless absolutely necessary. It's very important that people who have had the virus, or been in contact with someone who has had it, take precautions to avoid spreading it. That means not going back to work or school until two days after the symptoms have stopped.'
You may also want to watch:
The spread of infection is easiest in places where group of people are in close proximity such as residential homes, schools, hospitals and workplaces.
The virus lasts around two days and no treatment is required, however, even after the symptoms have cleared up, people may still carry the virus and infect others up to three days after their own symptoms have stopped.
- 1 Cyclist punched in the face during unprovoked attack turned away by GP
- 2 Murder investigation launched after body of man found in Norwich flat
- 3 Calls for lines to be repainted at 'free-for-all' city roundabout
- 4 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
- 5 Four more roads in Norwich to close for resurfacing work
- 6 Norwich mum and daughter duo shed 12st
- 7 Teenage stabbing was 'rival gang revenge’ for YouTube videos
- 8 New Norwich shisha bar one of the best and cheapest spots for Turkish food
- 9 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
- 10 Looking back at one of the city's favourite outdoor swimming pools