N&N visitor warning to stop spread of virus
Dan GrimmerMembers of the public are being asked not to visit the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital if they have been ill with a stomach bug in the past three days or in close contact with someone who has had sickness or diarrhoea.Dan Grimmer
Members of the public are being asked not to visit the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital if they have been ill with a stomach bug in the past three days or in close contact with someone who has had sickness or diarrhoea.
The hospital has acted in a bid to stop the spread of the norovirus stomach bug, which causes nausea and diarrhoea.
Dr Judith Richards, director of infection prevention and control at the N&N, said: 'We want to protect our patients by restricting the chances of people spreading this infection.
'For this reason, regrettably, we are asking that people do not visit patients, unless absolutely necessary. It's very important that people who have had the virus, or been in contact with someone who has had it, take precautions to avoid spreading it. That means not going back to work or school until two days after the symptoms have stopped.'
You may also want to watch:
The spread of infection is easiest in places where group of people are in close proximity such as residential homes, schools, hospitals and workplaces.
The virus lasts around two days and no treatment is required, however, even after the symptoms have cleared up, people may still carry the virus and infect others up to three days after their own symptoms have stopped.
- 1 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 2 Man and woman found dead in home
- 3 Water starts gushing out of sinkhole on Norwich city centre road
- 4 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 5 New Lidl supermarket opens in Norwich
- 6 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 7 Despair over fly-tipping and rats in city suburb
- 8 Parts of busy Norwich road to be shut for three days for repairs
- 9 'People make slavery jokes' - Black student on racism in schools
- 10 Car catches fire after early morning crash