‘Eerie’ sound keeps people awake in Norwich
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
A mystery noise has been keeping people awake in Norwich.
Described as sounding like an air raid siren or alarm, the "weird mechanical sound" was reportedly heard in the city centre on Saturday night.
But may have been heard on previous evenings too.
With no obvious explanation for the source of the sound, the mystery has led to speculation online as to the what caused the noise.
One woman who reported hearing the sound on Saturday evening posed the question: "Does anyone know anything about the noise that is like an air raid siren?"
You may also want to watch:
Others who also heard it described it the noise as "eerie", "mechanical, high pitched and repetitive", while someone else said it sounded like "industrial machinery".
After much speculation, one popular explanation for the source of the noise was roadworks on St Stephens Road and Ipswich Road.
- 1 'Eyesore' bus won't be removed despite neighbours' pleas
- 2 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 3 'Such a shame': Social media scammer targets Norwich pub
- 4 Tenant's despair as council fixes his windows by screwing them shut
- 5 Neighbours' terror as bleeding man found in garden after street fight
- 6 Huge Gothic home on edge of city cemetery is for sale for £1.2m
- 7 How Norwich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 8 'Lives are at risk'-Patients' concerns over surgery appointment struggles
- 9 'Significant' amount of cash and electronics stolen from city home
- 10 One of Norwich's most photographed homes is up for sale