Mystery over sudden closure of Dereham hotel
Uncertainty surrounds the future of a landmark hotel and restaurant in the centre of Dereham which has closed suddenly.
Blinds at the historic George Hotel and Lottie's Restaurant have been shut for two days and the business could not be reached by telephone yesterday.
The Times understands that staff were told that the hotel, on Swaffham Hill, was closing and they had lost their jobs on New Year's Day.
Owner Allyson Marlow confirmed on Monday that the business was not open, but did not wish to comment further.
A sign on the front door read simply 'We are closed today' but it had been removed yesterda despite the hotel remaining shut.
You may also want to watch:
The 18th century coaching inn appears on a map dating back to the 1757 and sits on the threshold of Dereham's busy market place.
Another prominent Dereham pub, the Cherry Tree, closed this time last year after serving the town for more than 200 years.
- 1 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 2 'Sneaky and selfish' changes to bus route slammed
- 3 Norwich firm fined £1m over explosion which killed much-loved father
- 4 Inconvenience store: Family business blighted by roadworks
- 5 New BBQ takeaway set to open in Norwich
- 6 'We do everything correctly': Norwich takeaway handed one star hygiene rating
- 7 Bars, restaurants and shops - Five new openings in Norwich this September
- 8 Britain's poshest train returning to Norwich for Christmas lunch
- 9 Eyesore tags or street art? Artists on graffiti 'tagging' trend
- 10 Man appears in court over Thorpe St Andrew murder
National pub chain JD Wetherspoon opened the Romany Rye at the site of the former Phoenix Hotel in Church Street in April last year and had become very popular in the town.
The revamped hotel included 22 en-suite rooms, a function room and conference facilities.