Mystery over sudden closure of Dereham hotel
Uncertainty surrounds the future of a landmark hotel and restaurant in the centre of Dereham which has closed suddenly.
Blinds at the historic George Hotel and Lottie's Restaurant have been shut for two days and the business could not be reached by telephone yesterday.
The Times understands that staff were told that the hotel, on Swaffham Hill, was closing and they had lost their jobs on New Year's Day.
Owner Allyson Marlow confirmed on Monday that the business was not open, but did not wish to comment further.
A sign on the front door read simply 'We are closed today' but it had been removed yesterda despite the hotel remaining shut.
You may also want to watch:
The 18th century coaching inn appears on a map dating back to the 1757 and sits on the threshold of Dereham's busy market place.
Another prominent Dereham pub, the Cherry Tree, closed this time last year after serving the town for more than 200 years.
- 1 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 2 City fan park takes shape ahead of England's Euro 2020 opener
- 3 Two city businesses on the move as mystery new tenant hovers
- 4 'People love it' - Landlady opens second pub in Earlham Road
- 5 Volunteer hit with £100 parking fee while collecting food for needy
- 6 Police seal off building site in Norwich
- 7 Stylish bungalow to rent on edge of Norwich - and it even has a hot tub
- 8 Police cordon remains in place after serious sex assault in Norwich
- 9 Man who took baby from Norfolk hospital to be sentenced
- 10 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries keen on Cherries ace
National pub chain JD Wetherspoon opened the Romany Rye at the site of the former Phoenix Hotel in Church Street in April last year and had become very popular in the town.
The revamped hotel included 22 en-suite rooms, a function room and conference facilities.