MTV win heralds big things for Norwich rapper, Context
Brainy music success Context has had the busiest two days of his life after wining MTV's Brand New for 2012 Unsigned competition.
Formerly known as Context MC and otherwise known as 25 year old George Musgrave in his day to day life as a PhD student at the University of East Anglia, the musician - who mixes singing and rapping over dubstep and hip hop - is the first unsigned act to appear on the TV station's Brand New for 2012 list.
He shares the honour with such acts as Lana Del Rey and BBC Sound of 2012 winner Michael Kiwanuka.
Mr Musgrave, from Dover Street, off Unthank Road, Norwich, said: 'It is mad to win with big acts who have backing, when I don't have anything behind me. I do it all in my bedroom.'
The winners are chosen by online votes, an analysis of the 'buzz' they create online, and by a panel of judges from MTV. The list is the TV station saying who their ones to watch are across the world in 2012.
You may also want to watch:
The tenth spot on the list, awarded to Context, was reserved for unsigned acts, while the first nine slots have been awarded to artists signed to major labels.
'I can't yet make public the opportunities that have become available to me since wining,' said Mr Musgrave.
- 1 'Our lives are being destroyed': Neighbours' despair over noisy students
- 2 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 3 'The final straw' - Bakery fears closure over council plans
- 4 Man found dead at Thorpe St Andrew home
- 5 'Dream come true': Norwich restaurant wins national award
- 6 Diversions in place on A47 near Norwich due to flooding
- 7 Mum's pleas to move house denied despite GP's concerns over wellbeing
- 8 Norwich man wanted by police
- 9 Norwich man convicted of murder boasts of mutilating 'up to 30' cats
- 10 See inside this quirky bungalow for sale near Norwich railway station
'But I've had some serious people contact me. My phone hasn't stopped ringing.'
Mr Musgrave, who is regularly played on Radio 1 and is tipped for the big time by DJs Fearne Cotton and Greg James, said he would be making an announcement regarding his future soon. He went to Wymondham College from 2000-2005, and achieved a first class degree in Social and Political Sciences at Cambridge University.
Have you tasted success? Call Joe Wilkes on 01603 772 439 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.