MTV win heralds big things for Norwich rapper, Context
Brainy music success Context has had the busiest two days of his life after wining MTV's Brand New for 2012 Unsigned competition.
Formerly known as Context MC and otherwise known as 25 year old George Musgrave in his day to day life as a PhD student at the University of East Anglia, the musician - who mixes singing and rapping over dubstep and hip hop - is the first unsigned act to appear on the TV station's Brand New for 2012 list.
He shares the honour with such acts as Lana Del Rey and BBC Sound of 2012 winner Michael Kiwanuka.
Mr Musgrave, from Dover Street, off Unthank Road, Norwich, said: 'It is mad to win with big acts who have backing, when I don't have anything behind me. I do it all in my bedroom.'
The winners are chosen by online votes, an analysis of the 'buzz' they create online, and by a panel of judges from MTV. The list is the TV station saying who their ones to watch are across the world in 2012.
You may also want to watch:
The tenth spot on the list, awarded to Context, was reserved for unsigned acts, while the first nine slots have been awarded to artists signed to major labels.
'I can't yet make public the opportunities that have become available to me since wining,' said Mr Musgrave.
- 1 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 2 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 3 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 4 Large estate to have its first food store this autumn
- 5 Former City skipper a frontrunner for Swansea job
- 6 Watch: Woman left bleeding and bruised after e-scooter crash
- 7 Sky broadband issues across Norfolk and Suffolk resolved
- 8 Norfolk hit by thunderstorms and heavy hail
- 9 Plans to remove crossing in £440k works branded 'crazy' by councillors
- 10 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m
'But I've had some serious people contact me. My phone hasn't stopped ringing.'
Mr Musgrave, who is regularly played on Radio 1 and is tipped for the big time by DJs Fearne Cotton and Greg James, said he would be making an announcement regarding his future soon. He went to Wymondham College from 2000-2005, and achieved a first class degree in Social and Political Sciences at Cambridge University.
Have you tasted success? Call Joe Wilkes on 01603 772 439 or email email@example.com.