Blaze on Mousehold Heath sparks warning over bonfires and barbecues
- Credit: citizenside.com
A fire on Mousehold Heath in Norwich this morning has prompted a warning over bonfires and barbecues during this dry and hot spell.
A crew from Sprowston were called to the small fire just before 9am and used backpack sprayers to extinguish it.
Following the blaze the Norfolk Fire Service tweeted: 'A crew from Sprowston Fire Station is currently dealing with a small fire on Mousehold Heath in Norwich. With the weather remaining hot and dry please avoid lighting bonfires or BBQs on areas of heath or forest. This incident was quickly reported to us and is now under control.'
With temperatures soaring and continuing dry conditions, beauty spots are at risk of fires which can take hold at great speed and have a devastating effect.
Firefighters are still trying to tackle the fire on Saddleworth Moor, Greater Manchester, which has been ongoing for a week.
You may also want to watch:
Earlier this week Paul Seaman, district Commander for South Norfolk and Breckland Norfolk Fire and Rescue service (NFRS), said: 'We would advise people to take extra care when enjoying outdoor activities, especially in the current conditions.
'People must avoid lighting campfires or using barbecues, other than those supplied at recognised sites on hard standing, as this may well lead to wildfires occurring.'
- 1 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 2 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 3 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 4 Large estate to have its first food store this autumn
- 5 Former City skipper a frontrunner for Swansea job
- 6 Watch: Woman left bleeding and bruised after e-scooter crash
- 7 Sky broadband issues across Norfolk and Suffolk resolved
- 8 Plans to remove crossing in £440k works branded 'crazy' by councillors
- 9 Norfolk hit by thunderstorms and heavy hail
- 10 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m
People are also advised to take note of general safety warnings when barbecuing in their gardens as grass areas will be dry.