More than 300 people sign petition in support of Norwich ice skaters’ bid to get new rink in city
More than 300 people have signed a petition supporting a campaign to get a new ice rink in Norwich.
The sudden closure of Planet Ice, in Drayton High Road, the city's only ice rink, last month devastated skaters and ice hockey players meaning they now have to travel to Peterborough or Chelmsford for the nearest venue. But groups which used the rink are desperately trying to find ways of getting an alternative venue back in the city and on Saturday a group of 20 figure skaters and ice hockey players met for a picnic in Chapelfield Gardens before gathering signatures in support of their campaign.
The group, which ranged from people aged six to 60, wore figure skating dresses and ice hockey kits to attract attention for the campaign and in the end amassed more than 300 signatures of support.
Ailsa McKendrick, 16, from Wymondham, came up with the idea for the picnic together with Coralie Steadman and PJ Cameron, also 16.
She said: 'When the ice rink shut it was like a death. We all skated two or three times a week and we were doing our Duke of Edinburgh using our skating. We would do anything to get a new rink and we know the hockey players feel the same way. We were overwhelmed with the response we got. We felt people really cared.'
You may also want to watch:
To find out more, go to the Bring Back our Ice Rink Facebook page.
- 1 Noise concerns spark more than 40 objections to new city venue bid
- 2 Controversy reignited over 300 home scheme on edge of Norwich
- 3 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 4 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 5 Monster rats 'the size of cats' invade city - and get in via the LOO
- 6 'Turn up!' Groomer's plea to no-show pet owners
- 7 Golden Triangle pub goes up for sale for half a million
- 8 'More of a service than a business': Bid to turn pub into local shop
- 9 A look at the faces behind Norwich Market
- 10 Chaos on ‘free-for-all' city street after double yellows disappear