Mile Cross, Norwich tower block tenants still not allowed home after September’s fire
Several tenants have still not been allowed back home after a fire ripped through a block of flats in Norwich two months ago.
More than 40 people were initially forced to move after a blaze at Markham Tower in Mile Cross on September 26.
About half were able to return home early last month but 11 tenants are still living away from home, the city council said.
Electrical rewiring to the lower flats is expected to start next month and work to the upper flats will begin in the new year, although it's unclear when all of the tenants can move back.
As reported, about 80 firefighters were called to Markham Tower after a fire broke out in an eighth-floor flat.
Nobody was hurt but it left one flat badly damaged and at least 10 flats with water damage, while all the tower's electricity had to be turned off.
The people living in the 44-flat tower block, in Bowers Avenue, were moved to hotels, offered temporary accommodation from the council's housing stock or had to stay with friends or family.
- 1 Military helicopters spotted flying over Norfolk
- 2 Chim chim, I do! Couple tie the knot in Mary Poppins-themed wedding
- 3 Family sue Wetherspoon after man falls to death in city pub
- 4 Are you the mystery Norwich builder Peter Crouch is searching for?
- 5 See inside 'stunning' flat overlooking Norwich Market
- 6 All-you-can-eat Chinese buffet at Riverside closes
- 7 Blanket ban: Standing room only for Simply Red fans
- 8 Much-loved dungaree brand to open one of only three UK stores in Norwich
- 9 Train evacuated after hitting horse on Norwich to Diss line
- 10 Hidden 90-acre wildlife haven in city secured after £600k investment
Councillor Brenda Arthur, leader of Norwich City Council, said: 'The majority of flats are now safe and habitable, and tenants were able to move back into them several weeks ago.
'We're very appreciative of our tenants' patience during what has been an extremely difficult time for them and we are working hard with our contractor to complete remedial work to the part of the block where the fire originated so that tenants can return to these flats.
'We expect to start internal work, such as electrical rewiring, to the lower flats in December and work to the upper flats, including external work, will begin in the new year.'
Are you one of the tenants not allowed back yet? Call reporter David Bale on 01603 772427 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.