Messages of hope and inspiration
Sheriff of Norwich Derek James meets an inspirational archbishop at the opening of the Open Academy.
It was fitting that an archbishop should open this 'cathedral of learning' and the atmosphere was electric as he walked forward to do the honours and then turned to his 'congregation.'
No-one was sure what to expect when the Most Rev Dr John Sentamu started to speak. He is that sort of man, unpredictable and inspirational.
The Archbishop of York is a man who keeps others on their toes. There is something very special about him. 'Come on,' he said. 'Yes you, the ones who helped us in the car park,' and a group of nervous looking students slowly stepped forward. He then had them pulling apart and pulling together – illustrating the value of pulling together and raising a smile at the same time.
The Archbishop was in Norwich to open the Open Academy, the first school of its kind in the county, which replaces Heartsease High. How right he was when he said it has the 'wow' factor – this is a stunning building and, as the Archbishop pointed out, it is not for the teachers or the parents, it is for the children.
You may also want to watch:
This is the largest wood framed structure in the country, built with the environment in mind – it really is a cathedral of learning. One we can all be proud of.
- 1 Man charged with murder after fatal stabbing in Thorpe
- 2 City beer gardens heaving as lockdown eases and Norwich City promoted
- 3 Queues and tunes as life returns to city on Saturday after shops reopen
- 4 Kill the Bill protestors take to Norwich streets
- 5 Man detained under mental health act after Norwich disturbance
- 6 Two Norwich fish and chip shops named among top 50 in the country
- 7 Norwich City fans gather at Carrow Road to celebrate promotion
- 8 Eager shoppers queue for opening of 20-year-old's vintage clothing shop
- 9 NORWICH CITY ARE PROMOTED TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE
- 10 Murder victim is named as accused under armed guard in hospital