Manchester United relegated - in Norwich
Kim BriscoeIt is not every day you see Stoke City lift the Premier League trophy and witness Manchester United get relegated, but that is exactly what happed at an event recreating the top flight of football's season in just one day.Kim Briscoe
It is not every day you see Stoke City lift the Premier League trophy and witness Manchester United get relegated, but that is exactly what happed at an event recreating the top flight of football's season in just one day.
Over a period of 12 hours, 380 games were played at the Norfolk FA's football development centre in Bowthrope as part of a unique five-a-side football tournament called 'Premier League Season in Just One Day'.
Organised by Anglian Home Improvements, the mad-cap event has so far raised more than �20,000 for Sport Relief, with more due to roll in when an online auction of signed kit and merchandise finishes on Friday.
The tournament was the brainchild of Russell Ellis, online administrator at Anglian Home Improvements, and featured a live league table which was updated after each eight-minute fixture, as well as boasting a visit from the real Premier League trophy.
Sports store JJB donated a hundreds of pounds worth of kit and equipment and many Premier League clubs also donated signed kits for the event, which was on Saturday and featured teams from Anglian and a range of other businesses from the region.
Mr Ellis said: 'We had a few injuries and some of the games had to be played at walking pace but everyone thoroughly enjoyed themselves and had a good day.
- 1 City centre steak restaurant to DOUBLE in size thanks to move
- 2 Road closed after BMW comes off the road in Mousehold Heath
- 3 WATCH: Moment hero doorman tackles knifeman during Norwich triple stabbing
- 4 Arrests after woman held hostage in home containing drugs and samurai sword
- 5 Norwich cycle shop closes after 125 years in business
- 6 Arena plans expected to bring windfall to city
- 7 How clothing boss got Norwich hooked on luxury
- 8 Norfolk car dealership and MOT centre named among best in the country
- 9 'Never too old': Barber who joined industry at 29 named best in region
- 10 Norwich independent school named one of best in East Anglia
'Everyone seems to be a bit sore but happy, and it was all for a good cause.'
More information about the auction and how to bid is available online at http://blog.anglianhome.co.uk/.