Man appears in court charged with the attempted murder of two male prison officers at HMP Norwich
- Credit: Steve Adams
An inmate in a jail has appeared in court charged with the attempted murder of two male prison officers.
Cairo Adams, 21, is accused of attacking the officers at Norwich Prison on June 11 2017.
The incident involved a prison officer, who suffered a neck injury, and had been working there for less than a week. Two other officers were also hurt in the attack.
He appeared before Norwich Magistrates' Court by videolink from Whitemoor Prison near March, Cambridgeshire.
No pleas were taken and he was remanded in custody to appear at Norwich Crown Court on December 14.
You may also want to watch:
In the six months to June this year there were a total of 151 assaults reported in HMP Norwich.
The latest figures from the MoJ show there were 73 attacks on staff in the prison last year, more than treble the number in 2013.
- 1 'We will come back stronger': Norwich restaurant to close for rebranding
- 2 Air ambulance called and A47 closed after incident
- 3 New BBQ takeaway set to open in Norwich
- 4 Bus services to be cancelled and changed amid driver shortage
- 5 To cross or not to cross? Pledge to trim back danger hedge at blind corner
- 6 Warning to others after mum breaks leg using park zip wire
- 7 Former teacher who abused young boys handed 25-year sentence
- 8 Diggers roll into village as work begins on 267 home development
- 9 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 10 'We do everything correctly': Norwich takeaway handed one star hygiene rating
The rise in attacks has been blamed on overcrowding and staff shortages.