Man 'got drunk becvayse of his height and weight'
Christine CunninghamA man who burgled a Norwich home while the occupants were asleep claimed he got drunk quickly because of he was only five foot tall and weighed eight stone.Christine Cunningham
A man who burgled a Norwich home while the occupants were asleep claimed he got drunk quickly because of he was only five foot tall and weighed eight stone.
James Bradbury, 22, was caught red-handed after one of the occupants woke up and raised the alarm.
He burgled the home in Savery Close, West Earlham, with another man in the early hours of the morning and crept into the room where three people were sleeping.
Malcolm Robins, prosecuting at Norwich Crown Court, said that one of the three people staying in the property at the time woke up and saw Bradbury
'She became aware of someone coming into the room and saw two figures.'
He said she had challenged the two intruders and Bradbury was then restrained until police arrived, although the second man escaped.
- 1 Customers in shock as parking charges rack up at retail park
- 2 Neighbourhood bemused after garage turned into barber shop
- 3 Fire destroys roof of Norwich home
- 4 Protest planned as anger grows against 725 homes plan
- 5 Arrest after man found with large quantity of cannabis and lock knife
- 6 House of horrors: Is this the worst council property in Norwich?
- 7 Neighbours saw homeowner using hosepipe to fight flames of school building
- 8 Five of Norwich's best takeaways according to our readers
- 9 Former City defender Klose training with Championship club
- 10 How Norwich's former pubs have changed over the years
Bradbury, of Irstead Road, Earlham, Norwich admitted burglary on November 8, last year and was jailed for a year.
Michael Clare, for Bradbury said he suffered from a form of dwarfism and on the night of the burglary he had been to see the fireworks at Earlham Park and had been drinking.
'Drink gets the better of him very quickly as he only weighs about eight stone and is barely five foot tall,'
He added: 'He has pleaded guilty and he is extremely sorry and ashamed for what he has done.'
He said that because of his physical disability finding work was extremely hard but he had recently managed to find himself employment
He said that Bradbury now realised that drink did not agree with him because of his physical disabilities.