Man arrested on suspicion of arson after city flat destroyed by blaze
- Credit: Archant
A 35-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of arson following a fire at a city flat.
Fire crews were called to a blaze in Foulgers Opening, off Ber Street, at 12.49am on Thursday, April 28.
Broken glass and burnt out windows can be seen outside the block of flats in the aftermath of the fire.
Later that morning concerned neighbours gathered to examine the damage after fearing for their own properties.
Peter Hole, who lives across the road, said he heard "crackling sounds" before rushing to the window to find out what it was.
He said: "I couldn't see anything out the front so I looked to the back of the building and noticed this orange glow reflecting off the back of the shed.
"I called the fire brigade but they were already on their way down the steps."
Mr Hole added that he was "shocked" and his partner also woke up in disbelief.
- 1 'Barcelona-style' redevelopment of Next store mooted
- 2 Rumours Sweet Briar Road will close again QUASHED by council
- 3 5 affordable homes for first-time buyers currently for sale in Norwich
- 4 Hunt to track vandals who broke into jet after cutting wire fence
- 5 Is this fish and chip-themed afternoon tea the perfect Jubilee treat?
- 6 House swap sees woman move into home infested with fleas
- 7 Sweet Briar Road 'still on track' to reopen by end of May
- 8 Neighbours shock at ‘unexplained’ sudden death of woman
- 9 Tributes to 'wonderful' school head who loved to see children learn
- 10 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
He said: "We both couldn't believe our eyes."
Another neighbour, who wished to remain anonymous, said: "It happened really early in the morning - it was quite a big fire.
"My neighbour knocked on my door and was frightened it might spread.
"There was quite a lot of people gathered outside dealing with it."
Following the incident, Norfolk Police arrested a 35-year-old man in connection with the fire.
A spokesman said: "We were called to reports of anti-social behaviour in All Saints Street in Norwich at about 12.45am on April 28.
"A 35-year-old man was subsequently arrested for arson in connection with a fire in Foulgers Opening and is being questioned at Wymondham Police Investigation Centre."
Appliances from Carrow, Earlham, Sprowston and Hethersett were in attendance.
Crews used breathing apparatus, main jets and hose reel jets to extinguish the fire.
They remained at the scene until 2.40am this morning [April 28].
A police car remained stationed nearby on Thursday.