Makeover for Gemma Lane at Brooke Cricket Club
Life Matters helped raise money for a local cricket club to continue its quest to bring sport into the community by raffling off a reader makeover. Gemma Lane from Brooke was the lucky winner. By Emma Harrowing and Alexia Julie Rouse.
When Life Matters was approached by the Brooke Cricket Club and asked if we could offer a makeover prize as part of its raffle to raise money for the club that helps get people of all ages back into sport, how could we refuse.
Founded in 1952 by club president Mr Tom Bartram, Brooke CC is in the Norfolk Alliance Premier League, with Brooke's 1st X1 competing to a very high standard. This year, its overseas professional is Jeandre Jumat from South Africa.
The real driving force of the club are its links to local youth sport, alongside the government scheme to get children fit and healthy. The club coaches local schools during term time and holds a sports skills clinic every Friday during the summer holidays for boys and girls aged six to 16. 'Brooke has seen a number of its youngsters achieve county playing status and it is keen to further this link by establishing a ladies side playing competitive cricket,' says Katie Stamp, a member of the club.
'To keep this ethos going, we need to raise funds and so we organised an end-of-season dinner at Dragon Hall and a raffle, with the star prize of a Life Matters makeover with the Norwich Evening News.'
You may also want to watch:
The winner was Gemma Lane, a 39-year-old mum of two.
Says Gemma: 'I was shocked to win the Life Matters makeover and although I am a little nervous about what styles will be chosen for me, I am excited about the chance to totally revamp my look.'
- 1 Chaos on ‘free-for-all' city street after double yellows disappear
- 2 Shoe outlet opens first city centre branch in former Carphone Warehouse
- 3 Monster rats 'the size of cats' invade city - and get in via the LOO
- 4 Golden Triangle pub goes up for sale for half a million
- 5 Pensioner can't leave home because of 'obstacle course' outside
- 6 Mayhem at some petrol pumps - but how are other city garages faring?
- 7 Mayhem across city as drivers race to the petrol pumps
- 8 SOLD! Royal Arcade goes for £2m MORE than guide price
- 9 'Amazing' teen denied urgent mental health referral weeks before death
- 10 Can you spot yourself at Let's Rock Norwich?