Luke’s marathon to raise money for Norwich palliative care centre
- Credit: Archant
A man who was born and raised in Norwich but now lives in the United States has ran the New York marathon to raise money for a Norwich charity.
Luke Smith, who works as the director of admissions at The King's College in New York City, has so far raised £6,400 for the Priscilla Bacon Lodge.
The 30-year-old, who moved to Chicago when he was 19 to attend university, chose to raise money for the centre-which provides specialist advice and support for patients with life limiting illness- after visiting his mother, Anne Smith, who became a patient there a month ago.
Mr Smith said: 'My mother was diagnosed with Breast Cancer two and a half years ago.
'It was during those visits, watching the way the staff, volunteers, nurses and doctors so patiently and kindly cared for Mum's considerable discomfort that I decided to help raise money for the cause.'
You may also want to watch:
He added: 'She is a fighter and continues to battle with remarkable courage and faith.
'She is a true pillar in the Norwich community and is known and loved for her kindness by everyone who has ever met her both in Norwich and all around the world.'
- 1 Police probe launched after video shows officer kick out
- 2 Queues and pump closures continue across city
- 3 Norfolk fuel update: Football match called off as crisis reaches day five
- 4 Mum shares heartbreaking poems penned by daughter before death
- 5 Man took sword and axe to confront ex-wife's new partner
- 6 Traffic delays as drivers continue to queue for petrol
- 7 'Goth' mum heckled in street hits back at haters
- 8 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 9 'It's looking bleak' - City taxi firms respond to panic-buying at the pumps
- 10 Noise concerns spark more than 40 objections to new city venue bid
The NYC marathon was Mr Smith's second having completed the Chicago marathon in 2011.
The die hard canaries fan said: 'The marathon was a surreal and inspiring event, with over 50,000 participant and more than 1,000,000 spectators on the streets of New York City.
'The race covers all five boroughs of Manhattan, each with its own vibes and atmospheres.
'It was an emotionally charged day, with thoughts of my mother and others who are forced to fight against cancer daily, fresh in my mind.'
To sponsor Mr Smith, visit http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/AnneSmithIsASaint
Do you know someone who is raising money for charity?