Luke’s marathon to raise money for Norwich palliative care centre
- Credit: Archant
A man who was born and raised in Norwich but now lives in the United States has ran the New York marathon to raise money for a Norwich charity.
Luke Smith, who works as the director of admissions at The King's College in New York City, has so far raised £6,400 for the Priscilla Bacon Lodge.
The 30-year-old, who moved to Chicago when he was 19 to attend university, chose to raise money for the centre-which provides specialist advice and support for patients with life limiting illness- after visiting his mother, Anne Smith, who became a patient there a month ago.
Mr Smith said: 'My mother was diagnosed with Breast Cancer two and a half years ago.
'It was during those visits, watching the way the staff, volunteers, nurses and doctors so patiently and kindly cared for Mum's considerable discomfort that I decided to help raise money for the cause.'
He added: 'She is a fighter and continues to battle with remarkable courage and faith.
'She is a true pillar in the Norwich community and is known and loved for her kindness by everyone who has ever met her both in Norwich and all around the world.'
- 1 Norwich Airport TUI flight delayed by 42 hours
- 2 5 new shop openings in Norwich to look forward to
- 3 Road closures revealed for Lord Mayor's Celebration
- 4 Landlady 'hard at work' as city pub prepares for July reopening
- 5 Can you spot yourself at the Simply Red gig at Earlham Park?
- 6 Police called after sudden death at home near Norwich
- 7 Peter Crouch speaks on bid to track down his 'Norfolk husband'
- 8 Carriageway of A11 closed after air ambulance called to crash
- 9 Blanket ban: Standing room only for Simply Red fans
- 10 Family sue Wetherspoon after man falls to death in city pub
The NYC marathon was Mr Smith's second having completed the Chicago marathon in 2011.
The die hard canaries fan said: 'The marathon was a surreal and inspiring event, with over 50,000 participant and more than 1,000,000 spectators on the streets of New York City.
'The race covers all five boroughs of Manhattan, each with its own vibes and atmospheres.
'It was an emotionally charged day, with thoughts of my mother and others who are forced to fight against cancer daily, fresh in my mind.'
To sponsor Mr Smith, visit http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/AnneSmithIsASaint
Do you know someone who is raising money for charity?